C. Helen P. Dane 'Magnifica' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEslipper

Reaction score
Fall cattleya season is officially here! First up is an original division of C. Helen P. Dane (C. Barbara Dane x C. Edithiae alba 'White Empress') registered by E.B. Dane in 1941 and named for his wife Helen Pratt Dane, a Standard Oil heiress. This particular plant won its 82 point AM in 1949. This is not my best blooming of the plant - last year the petals were wider and the lateral sepals were not as twisted, giving the whole flower a fuller appearance (link to last year's blooming is HERE), however, there is more golden yellow in the lip this year and the classic cattleya scent is much stronger than I remember - it is really filling up my entire living room. C. Helen P. Dane has been used widely in breeding, and two of its most well-known offspring would probably be C. Wendy Patterson (C. Helen P. Dane x C. intermedia) and C. Athena Chagaris (C. Helen P Dane x C. Barbara Billingsley) - Athena Chagaris is famous as one of the parents of the widely cultivated C. Sierra Blanca grex.
IMG_3798a.JPGIMG_3879a.JPGIMG_3942a.JPGIMG_3949a.JPG

Back