C. Granier's Felicity 'Blue Honey Bun' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteM

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Acquired in 2018, a gift from an orchid society member, mentor and friend closing his collection. I promised to grow it on and share the blooms with others. I don’t have a cultivar associated with this, but the cross / quest is fun to read about. Apologies for the colors of the photos, the metal halide light throws the colors blue, the last shot is the closest to true color. Smells like sticking your nose in a rose to me.

https://www.batonrougeorchidsociety.com/uploads/1/4/4/8/1448760/ervins__aos_article_2006.pdf
A1879857-54DB-4EE5-96E1-057982B8A515.jpeg73BEEFD7-20DA-489D-86C2-47D92B9D1A04.jpeg4A843F09-130E-432F-A24D-18603DA5B7DB.jpeg

Ervin Granier was a very prolific breeder who single-handedly created the medium blues in the southern US using the bowringiana coerulea genes to the fullest. This cross alone has about six AOS awards, showing pretty consisting shape and colors. I had a huge plant 'Sugar Plum' with 8 leads that bloomed up to twice a year with up to 6 flowers per spike. Quite a looker. Unfortunately it got virused symptoms on the flowers and I had to give it away. Yours is an excellent example of the flowers at their best.

For once a blue that actually looks blue!!
The interesting is that the blue color of this grex varies throughout the day depending on the blue or yellow hues of the sun. The afternoon bluish white light intensified this blue while the yellow sunrise and orange sunsets make the flowers more purplish.

Ervin Granier was a very prolific breeder who single-handedly created the medium blues in the southern US using the bowringiana coerulea genes to the fullest. This cross alone has about six AOS awards, showing pretty consisting shape and colors. I had a huge plant 'Sugar Plum' with 8 leads that bloomed up to twice a year with up to 6 flowers per spike. Quite a looker. Unfortunately it got virused symptoms on the flowers and I had to give it away. Yours is an excellent example of the flowers at their best.

Thanks for this note. I went back to the member in my society who was the source of this plant and confirmed that the plant I have is in fact a division of the awarded grex 'Blue Honey Bun' AM/AOS. One of those plant stories where the division has been passed along through auction and has made it's way into the circles of a number of collections, including an embassy in DC, then passed back to the member in the society. So far it's tested clean. DrLeslieEe, I can put this on the list of potential future trades ;)

Back