C. Frans Hais (4N) (Horace ‘Maxima’ AM/AOS (4N) x trianae ‘Winter Giant’ (4N)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I like these photos more than the original. Makes a huge difference.
Very unsophisticated set up. I use a black cloth background hanging from a shelf and 1-75 watt natural daylight 5,000 k bulb hanging from a rafter about 4’ back. That’s the only light nearby. . Taken with an iPhone X no flash. I always have HDR enabled in photos and never need a flash. Colors are very true this way.

Ok, here are the photos now. Measurements across petals are 13mm, petal height 8mm
View attachment 21383View attachment 21384
Great shaped flowers, reminiscent of the old trianae heirlooms like the ‘Grand Monarch’ and ‘Premier’.

Are you sure your measurements are correct? 13 mm is 1.3 cm. Perhaps you mean 13 cm by 8 cm for petals?

Also what is the natural spread, measured from left petal tip to right petal tip without flattening flower? And lip width?

Great shaped flowers, reminiscent of the old trianae heirlooms like the ‘Grand Monarch’ and ‘Premier’.

Are you sure your measurements are correct? 13 mm is 1.3 cm. Perhaps you mean 13 cm by 8 cm for petals?

Also what is the natural spread, measured from left petal tip to right petal tip without flattening flower? And lip width?
You are gracious, I know I must have made you chuckle. I said I don’t do metric! NS is 13 cm, petal height is 8 cm, lip width 5.5 cm.

Ok, here are the photos now. Measurements across petals are 13mm, petal height 8mm
View attachment 21383View attachment 21384
I find these flowers to be very similar to C. Horace 'Maxima' : there is very little difference.
I am sure you mean your measurements to be in cm, not mm! Here in Canada we use the metric system generally.
The influence of C. trianae 'Winter Giant' is not noticeable. Very good flowers in any case. Your LED lamps are working out well. I use HID lamps partly because I need the daytime warmth: no problem with overheating here in Vancouver except for the cool and cold growers which need an evaporative cooler only in the Summer.

I find these flowers to be very similar to C. Horace 'Maxima' : there is very little difference.
I am sure you mean your measurements to be in cm, not mm! Here in Canada we use the metric system generally.
The influence of C. trianae 'Winter Giant' is not noticeable. Very good flowers in any case. Your LED lamps are working out well. I use HID lamps partly because I need the daytime warmth: no problem with overheating here in Vancouver except for the cool and cold growers which need an evaporative cooler only in the Summer.
Yes, I meant cm🙃

Deborah, you wanted to measure from the tip of one petal to the tip of the other petal in cm. Use the natural spread of the petals (don’t spread them further out). I am thinking it should be at least 17 cm and could be more.

To increase the 'natural spread' - it's possible to unnaturally position the flower for a little while - and make it point skywards for a day or so heheh. And gravity could help the petals spread out a bit more and stay like that (become set maybe). Not suggesting others should do this though heheh.

Latest posts

Back