C. Frans Hais (4N) (Horace ‘Maxima’ AM/AOS (4N) x trianae ‘Winter Giant’ (4N)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First bloom on this seedling from Orchids Ltd. Big, lovely flowers. First day of opening. Will repost again in 3 days. View attachment 21372

Wohhh. Aside from the large flowers, there is a serious operation going on in the background. I spy blooming charts and root after and before growth charts.. looks very clean and tidy.. like a properly run lab. I would very much like to see this space, and know what charts you have up that you find the most useful. Please!

First bloom on this seedling from Orchids Ltd. Big, lovely flowers. First day of opening. Will repost again in 3 days. View attachment 21372
Very good quality: looks like a nice clone of Cattleya trianae. It already looks fully open. Being 4N the flowers may last a bit longer than average. Usual longevity of trianae flowers is about three weeks. Species trianae often has very good form so I doubt if you can say it is an improvement on its parents: they were already very good and this is not less good. I would keep it.

Jerry Fischer re-made this old cross because there were no existing photos of Frans Hais AND he happened to have a gorgeous tetraploid trianae to use with classic Horace. Orchids Limited has bloomed a group of these and now Deborah has. Mine is in high sheath and I have my fingers crossed for a good one. Jerry has made a lot of Cattleya crosses and he thinks this is one of the very best that they have made.

Wohhh. Aside from the large flowers, there is a serious operation going on in the background. I spy blooming charts and root after and before growth charts.. looks very clean and tidy.. like a properly run lab. I would very much like to see this space, and know what charts you have up that you find the most useful. Please!
Happily, Pete. It's not really a lab. More of a grow room, as I don't do any hybridizing. No space (only 10' x 12)', or expertise. The charts with the black background are from Chadwick's. They give them to you if you visit their greenhouse (at least they did). Other things, are sizes of Orchiata to use for different plants, etc.; otes from Bill and Hadley on growing phrags and paphs from their classes. The one I follow religiously is my daylight hours (for my LEDs) and temps for each month. Although, I do experiment a little. I'll try to get a pic or I can share actual sheets if I have your email. Aren't you in VA? You are welcome to visit. We are near Rt. 3 & Rt. 20 near Locust Grove. I will try to post a pic of the room.

Jerry Fischer re-made this old cross because there were no existing photos of Frans Hais AND he happened to have a gorgeous tetraploid trianae to use with classic Horace. Orchids Limited has bloomed a group of these and now Deborah has. Mine is in high sheath and I have my fingers crossed for a good one. Jerry has made a lot of Cattleya crosses and he thinks this is one of the very best that they have made.
Thanks, Terry!! And I would not have it, but for your recommendation!!! And it would not be grown well, but for your generous sharing of your growing knowledge. You have, just about literally, taught me everything I know and mentored me through all my foibles and questions. I know I would have given up about a month after setting up my grow room had it not been for your generous sharing of knowledge over the last 4 years. Even though I'd been windowsill growing for 20 years I'd never bloomed anything but phals. I really had no idea what I was doing when I moved everything down to the room and I was really dangerous, because I didn't know I didn't know!! I've killed more than a few, but fortunately, not too many really good ones. And lately, I'm killing far fewer, thankfully, because of your help. Forever grateful!

Here is most of the room. I can’t get far enough back to get the whole thing. This shows 3 of my 4 4’ x 30” tables. I have 2 “boot” trays on each table that happen to fit the tables perfectly (4’x15” each. The work space and sink are to the right where the cabinet is and the wall with my stuff on it that you saw. Considering I only had about 30 plants when I did this, it was huge when I started 4 years ago. I can’t water everything weekly, it doesn’t work for me. So, I use colored tags and an app (Errands) that tells me what to water each day. i.e. Table 4 Pink, etc. If I go away I print a spreadsheet and can have someone water for me based on the table number and color of the tags. I also keep basic info on each plant in the app. More info than you wanted I’m sure, but did I say I am a detail person??!
99949768-6BB0-420B-84A4-65B896DDE1FB.jpeg

Here is most of the room. I can’t get far enough back to get the whole thing. This shows 3 of my 4 4’ x 30” tables. I have 2 “boot” trays on each table that happen to fit the tables perfectly (4’x15” each. The work space and sink are to the right where the cabinet is and the wall with my stuff on it that you saw. Considering I only had about 30 plants when I did this, it was huge when I started 4 years ago. I can’t water everything weekly, it doesn’t work for me. So, I use colored tags and an app (Errands) that tells me what to water each day. i.e. Table 4 Pink, etc. If I go away I print a spreadsheet and can have someone water for me based on the table number and color of the tags. I also keep basic info on each plant in the app. More info than you wanted I’m sure, but did I say I am a detail person??!
View attachment 21377
Wow, fantastic thanks for sharing. Everything looks very 'green and clean'. I need to space out my collection like yours, I'm having issues with overcrowding and paying the price with constant bug suppression mostly small bouts of scale on the oldest cattleya growths and those awful mites have came out of nowhere.. but I was ready for them this time. Anyways, lotso rubbing alcohol, systemics and non toxic miticide (
AgroMagen (GS420), GrowSafe Bio-Pesticide, Natural Miticide, Fungicide and Insecticide, for Organic Gardening, Non-Toxic, Concentrate 8.5 Ounce
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M983TRL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_X5dgFbECV13PE ). This stuff works well for me, in a house with open windows.

I am still trying to tweak my summer temps. If you recall I have an evaporative cooler I am testing this summer. planning to post on the results soon. Just waiting for this heatwave to come to an end so I have all the data on performance, I started running it 24/7 last Friday. I would very much like to see your charts, I am familiar with some of them, but if you have the time I would enjoy reviewing pictures or files you have especially the LED charts and the seasonal changes you make. I will you a Private Message with my email.

Here are some pictures of my grow room with the evaporative cooler hooked up.. I have been bad about posting recent blooms.
IMG_5626.JPGIMG_5627.JPG

When we moved in I had the concrete busted out and the X shapes drain installed. All the 4 concrete sections are slightly sloped so excess water runs into the drains.. in this image, the drain running to the right is the lowest sloped so all the water is funneled into this, then dumps into a sump pump. I have screens running along the drain to catch big debris, so I do pull the tops off the drains and clean them out every so often. So far so good.

Wow, fantastic thanks for sharing. Everything looks very 'green and clean'. I need to space out my collection like yours, I'm having issues with overcrowding and paying the price with constant bug suppression mostly small bouts of scale on the oldest cattleya growths and those awful mites have came out of nowhere.. but I was ready for them this time. Anyways, lotso rubbing alcohol, systemics and non toxic miticide (
AgroMagen (GS420), GrowSafe Bio-Pesticide, Natural Miticide, Fungicide and Insecticide, for Organic Gardening, Non-Toxic, Concentrate 8.5 Ounce
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M983TRL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_X5dgFbECV13PE ). This stuff works well for me, in a house with open windows.

I am still trying to tweak my summer temps. If you recall I have an evaporative cooler I am testing this summer. planning to post on the results soon. Just waiting for this heatwave to come to an end so I have all the data on performance, I started running it 24/7 last Friday. I would very much like to see your charts, I am familiar with some of them, but if you have the time I would enjoy reviewing pictures or files you have especially the LED charts and the seasonal changes you make. I will you a Private Message with my email.

Here are some pictures of my grow room with the evaporative cooler hooked up.. I have been bad about posting recent blooms.
View attachment 21381View attachment 21382
Your room is much larger and you look like you have space for lots more. I’ll look for your email. It should work now to message me.

Latest posts

Back