C. Dinard ‘Blue Heaven

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been several remakes of C. Dinard. I sincerely doubt that any of the originals are still around. That was 92 years ago!!! 92 years is a long time for a human to live let alone an orchid.
As Art Chadwick Sr. Said "cattleyas live forever, if taken care of" there many plants in private collections that are much older. it's this virus purgeing that has taken many of them out.

T
That lip is just incredible. The petals are the reason I haven’t yet brought myself to try to find a division. The photos I’ve seen of the FCC ‘Veronica’ clone are as close to perfection as it gets. That lip with incredible petal form. Hopefully, someone will be able to clone that plant and make it widely available. The originally Dinard cross was registered in 1930, does anyone know where/when these blue forms turned up? I can’t imagine they’re from the original cross…
There was 2 plants in 3" clay pots & moss with 2 bulbs and a flower for $250 each.

I imagine we have lost more of our very best species and hybrids than we want to know. A large number of fantastic species Cattleyas were during cultivation after they were collected and then may were just thrown out when the cut flower market for Cattleya species dried up. Induction of polyploidy with chemicals can try and reproduce the huge flowered plants of the past in both species and some hybrids, but the attempts frequently fail.

The variety from bloom to bloom in amazing! If you ever have a division for sale I would love one.
-Patrick

I’d love to share it with you. I’ll have to check to see if the next division is spoken for but I will put you down for one. Last time it divided into 3. It will probably be at least another year I think, it’s a pretty fast grower and in a 9” pot which is my largest, so I’ll have to divide when it outgrows it.

I’d love to share it with you. I’ll have to check to see if the next division is spoken for but I will put you down for one. Last time it divided into 3. It will probably be at least another year I think, it’s a pretty fast grower and in a 9” pot which is my largest, so I’ll have to divide when it outgrows it.
Thanks so much Deb!

Patrick, Jerry never remade Dinard and he wouldn't be able to call it 'Blue Heaven'. Jerry made remade Arthur, which is Dinard 'Blue Heaven' crossed to a coerulea trianae.
That's right, I remember seeing it on the Orchid web YouTube channel. Thanks Terry, my bad.
-Patrick

Latest posts

Back