C. acaule

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well they're going into the fridge for this year, then next year I'll give them to the green garden downstairs and the German women who runs the thing will take charge. I should take photos of downstairs. It's a community garden w/ about 20 different growers; it has both native and exotic plantings.

I rec'd the 2 Cyp acaule seedlings from the eBay vendor and I am pleasantly suprised at the size. The vendor took the leaves off but there is a small green sprout in each one. Should I leave by the window to grow some more or put into the fridge now? I will take photos and post tomorrow.

I rec'd the 2 Cyp acaule seedlings from the eBay vendor and I am pleasantly suprised at the size. The vendor took the leaves off but there is a small green sprout in each one. Should I leave by the window to grow some more or put into the fridge now? I will take photos and post tomorrow.

Hi, it is definitely time to put into the refrigerator now for nice long sleep. You should put them into pots in moist pine duff. If seedlings that have grown in media are stored out of it during the winter they will usually die before spring.

Ron

Thanx, they are in pots now w/ a media I don't know so I'll keep them in that. Should I dry the media out a little? I don't want mold, etc.

Based on experiences with CPs out of sync, my little voice says to put your acaule in the frig right now lest you risk depleting reserves they're going to need next spring. My thoughts are that it might be best for them stay in the frig an additional 30 days or so as opposed to letting them grow some more sitting on the window sill to get that ideal 90 day dormancy. They're ready to go down now as the photoperiod has been slowly reducing so no sense stressing them unnecessarily by growing them out any further.

OK. I put them [whole pot] into 1 gallon zip-lock bags and into the crisper in the fridge. My reginae seedlings still have leaves should I put them away also?

I have like next to no experience with hardy cyps (unless you count me creating that area to grow my acaule and digging holes for the other species to plant straight in the ground in the past few months) but I've got that little voice that says if there's anything green on those reginae that they're still photosynthesizing so I'd not stick those in the frig yet.

$10 Cyps from Hirts in Ohio.

Cyp acaule seedlings that went into fridge this AM.
PA031676.jpg

PA031674.jpg

Bad photos of garden downstairs. I'm never around when it's open to the public; I'll take more later.
P9291660.jpg

P9291659.jpg

P9291658.jpg

P9291655.jpg

For $10 a seedling, I'm tempted to find another location to try growing acaule a little bit differently than what I'm currently doing but I want to keep any potential gene pool clean.

I'm really excited for you that you have those seedlings. This is going to be fun. Here's hoping one of us has some success with the acaule.

I LOVE YOUR GARDENS! I love it when people ram plants in every square inch and create outdoor living spaces!

Where I live has the most unused area of land of any private property in Manhattan, there is a private garden, plazas, native wood ssection and the public community garden. I'll try to take some photos.

That's a common area? Wild! We do not have any common areas like that around here. Our common areas are mostly turf and roses that are on their last leg. People are sorely lacking in the creativity department where I live. Who plants all the plants by you to make it look like a million bucks and who takes care of it all? Do people use that area or do you pretty much have it all to yourself" We sit outside all the time. If I lived by a garden like that I'd be outside every waking moment.

I don't do any outdoor gardening. My dad used to make me move trees around until he liked how they looked; including planting 1200 seedlings one weekend! The photos are the community garden which is only open to the public at certain times. individuals get a limited space to plant [no lettuce or anything like that] so the mix is ecclectic, lotus and water lilies to native plants. Our building also has a garden (mostly roses and gladiolas, etc)and lawn.

I love Central Park. I get a kick out of all the itsie bitsie teeny tiny dogs people walk there. Lots of people even have their dogs poking out of carry-all bags. Central Park is a nice green oasis in the middle of all that concrete and asphalt.

Great photos, I like where you live. Wish they'd take down some of the fences though so you could get in there and weed or something. I'm a compulsive weeder and dead header. You've really got some nice parks where you live.

Latest posts

Back