Butterflies + i.d.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This last fall I was driving a crew from our former greenhouses to the old newark, ny greenhouse site. I was surprised to find a handful of very well-preserved butterflies in some of the closed greenhouses. Three of them were of the same species, and they happened to pass on while laying flat/upright on the benches with their wings extended, which I had never seen before. I had also never seen this species before. There was also a very nicely spotted, smaller butterfly which I found earlier. It was pretty tough getting them back home in the work truck with four other guys riding, with tools cloths etc filling the truck.

I had also seen very brightly striped snail shells outside in one particular area near the greenhouses. I picked up a shell this fall to see if anyone could i.d. it.

newark1butterfly912.JPG

This was the first butterfly I found inside the break room, up against the window. i.d. greatly appreciated

newark2butterfly912.JPG

I found three of these in different closed houses, I managed to get two back,
though one lost both of it's antennae before I was able to get back from the
outer houses to the break room. With extended wings, it was very difficult to
carry it without the slightest breeze from blowing it out of my hands. I think
that it's a swallowtail, but any i.d. would be greatly appreciated

newarksnail912.JPG

one of the snails seen outside, new color/stripes to me

it's a warmer usda zone there as it's lower elevation than the utica area, and
closer to lake ontario so there are species of things I've seen there that I haven't
at home

The first is actually a moth.
It is likely a type of silk moth, but I can't really be certain which one without seeing both sides of the wing. Also, how large is it?

The second looks like a Giant Swallowtail, but I'd have to see the underside to be sure.

Huh, the snail looks like an normal everyday snail from here to me :p
Cool finds though

I agree with Erythrone: The first is a Buckeye and the second is a Giant Swallowtail. Both are butterflies, not moths.

Can't help with the snail.

I'm not even sure how I thought that was a moth. I saw fuzz and just went with it! :(
Good call on the ID :D

That's great dude , you have done a great job here after collect such kind of beautiful butterflies. It is the fact about nature that its every thing is very beautiful the only thing which you need to see is your heart's beauty , if you have it than every thing will looks to you so beautiful.

Latest posts

Back