But of course...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not long ago, I responded to a grower on another forum that I find phrags to be particularly frustrating, the way the first flower - seemingly in pristine condition - just drops off the inflorescence upon the opening of a second flower.

Immediately thereafter, Phrag Lucky Girl does this

Attachments

• Phrag_Lucky_Girl_202102.png
    Phrag_Lucky_Girl_202102.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
One of the characteristics of Phrags. that I like best is the unpredictability. I like surprises like this. The flowers are
really quite striking. Good on you Ray.

Lovely flowers and display. Lucky girl is on my list, especially looking at yours.

A few phrags will surprise you and hold multiple blooms. Now don't get comfortable and breath too close to it.😉

I’ve had phrags hold three flowers on a spike but only on large mature plants.
I have a photo somewhere of my Don Wimber ‘remembrance’ with eight flowers on a spike, three on the main bud and two each on two side shoots.
David

I’ve had phrags hold three flowers on a spike but only on large mature plants.
I have a photo somewhere of my Don Wimber ‘remembrance’ with eight flowers on a spike, three on the main bud and two each on two side shoots.
David
Here is my Leslie Garay from last spring with 3 blooms at once. They lasted for a couple weeks.

Attachments

• _DSC5095 Phrag. Laslie Garay 5-2020.jpg
    _DSC5095 Phrag. Laslie Garay 5-2020.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 10
That Phrag Lucky Girl is very nice. Yay besseae hybrids! It's always best to use pollen and fertilize as soon as the blooms open. You can tell what's going to hold multiple blooms from the parents. There is a photo of a really nice Don Wimber from the DC arboretum show somewhere on this site.

Back