Business must be good at Woodstream

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bcostello

I placed an order online with Woodstream on 12/28/08. I asked for a confirmation of the order on 12/31/08 and got a reply 1/1/09 saying he might ship the order the next week, weather permitting. On 2/15/09 I inquired about my order, and got another reply same day that he would ship the next Tues., weather permitting. On 3/25/09, I sent another email. This time because my visa bankcard was changed/updated, and offered to send the new number if he had intentions of filling the order. I haven't gotten a reply this time. For some reason,I don't think he wants to send the order.

I probably won't order from him again.

Brenda

I placed an order online with Woodstream on 12/28/08. I asked for a confirmation of the order on 12/31/08 and got a reply 1/1/09 saying he might ship the order the next week, weather permitting. On 2/15/09 I inquired about my order, and got another reply same day that he would ship the next Tues., weather permitting. On 3/25/09, I sent another email. This time because my visa bankcard was changed/updated, and offered to send the new number if he had intentions of filling the order. I haven't gotten a reply this time. For some reason,I don't think he wants to send the order.

I probably won't order from him again.

Brenda

Maybe he just being cautious about the weather.
It is better not to receive an order than risk having mushy frosted plants on your hands.

I know they were at the Longwood show since thursday and probably were packing days prior to that. The months prior...i dunno.

Woodstream does have a history of taking a looooooong time to answer e-mails and ship. I also sent them an e-mail. Weeks went by before they replyed. I then pre-ordered for the Longwood Garden Show. I was there first thing in the morning on Fri (after getting up at 3 A.M.). They had my pre-order. I also picked up two other plants off of there sales table. I guess we need to remember this is not their primary job. I think they also forgot to give me a fee seedling as I had spent a couple of hundred dollars. That being said, I suggest you keep after them as the plants I received were very nice.

I would be disappointed but it's, I guess, a bit more understandable if they have other jobs & also consider the number of shows there are at this time of the year.

The Gouldners are always busy, I know Bill is also a teacher, plus they have a lab in Penn., besides their nursery in Md. If you want I can give you a phone #.

My experience-
Phone message was returned next day.
Gave order. One item was in question if it was still in stock, Bill said he would
e-mail me. No e-mail.
Two days before show, I sent e-mail with 'if and then' instructions.
Friday at show, introduced myself and immediately Bill said " I got your
order."
A small, specialized company may have difficulty filling some voids on one
hand. On the other hand, to not respond for months?, one could expect
to lose some business. Good luck.

Still not a good way to run a business, even a side business.

I really really wanted that Epidendrum Panama Ruby. It's been so long I don't even remember what Phrag I ordered. Oh well. Live and learn.

I am going on three or four years waiting for a plant that Alan Koch promised was "in the mail". Live and learn. Rusty

Maybe call and find out why this happened? It does seem amazing, you would think they need the business like all other nurseries.

Let us know how you go with them.

Got my order from Woodstream yesterday with 2 additional free plants. :)

They listed the frigid winter and many weekends on the road as the reason for the delay.

I ordered

Epidendrum Panama Ruby 'Penns Creek' (medusae x porpax)
and
Phrag Mingoville Morn (Hanne Popow 'Woodstream' HCC/AOS x klotzscheanum 'Center Glow')

and got free

Phrag Bullseye (provisional)
(Hanne Popow 'Woodstream' HCC/AOS x Lynn Evans-Goldner 'Full Circle' HCC/AOS)
and
a Maxillaria sp.

What does the 'provisional' mean?

I would think that provisional means that the application for the name has been sent to the RHS, but has not yet been confirmed

also if it's a species or has received a cbm or chm, you have to send a flower to an approved taxonomist to agree that it is what the tag says it is. I don't think that this applies to hybrids though, though I don't have knowledge about that. I just remember having to send a flower of a species out to get i.d.'ed before the chm was actual and not provisional

Latest posts

Back