Bulbophyllum treschii ‘Octopussy’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW - these bloom several times a year in the hot south (summers around 90) though in 'Brachy shade' (~850fc) - might be interesting to see what they do in brighter light!

I'm surprised it grows warm as well as in the cool tank (where Octopuses is). I'll call this one Squiggy.
Why surprised, that it grows warm? I supposed you yourself put it in the warm tank? 🤭

Impertinent flippancy aside, I think, we can conclude, that it's either a very adaptable species or that it can grow within a wide temperature range!

It somehows reminds me of the pendant of either this chinese paper dragon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E2K01J...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Or of this Red Light Lantern:
https://www.amazon.com/Lantern-festival-decoration-Wedding-Festival/dp/B019BC4NPA
In both cases we are in the realm of merry festivity!

Yes I think I wanted to experiment if it would grow, let alone bloom lol.

Another two are in the lower part of the same tank not doing quite as well. Light is half amount, making it look like they need high light, more than what we think for the 'low light' bulbo myth.

Thanks for links, but the color of this bloom is not Chinese red. More blood red than anything.

hahaha! True!!!!! I hadn't seen that sort of plant before. It's amazing. Reminds me of Dr Who hehehehe. That's with the plant and the amazing growing cabinet combined ------ and the taoist symbol too hehehehehe

It's excellent DLE. Nice work.

I think, we can conclude, that it's either a very adaptable species or that it can grow within a wide temperature range!

A satisfactory conclusion! Somebody in North Queensland (not me hehehe) says it grows well in North Queensland. Tropical conditions here.

link 1 reference
link 2 reference

DLE's photos 'baited' me into ordering a treschii. I will see if it really does grow well in North Queensland. It will be very far from flowering size - but looking forward to growing a Bulbo. Adding that it will be my first ever Bulbophyllum. Will watch it like a hawk hehe

Last edited:
Another inflorescence developed on Squiggy soon after the last one finished 2 months ago. Seems to be able to bloom multiple times from the same bulb.

5E0B2F64-B25A-4EF0-94A9-ABB42554783B.jpeg47F45731-B9DB-4771-B128-C1DCC64BF428.jpegBD9C5909-F9A2-4080-B0CB-1AA03621B016.jpeg6F4E9CE7-9787-4AA2-B9F3-70152E9E76C5.jpeg

Flower not as vertically long but seemingly more voluptuous.

Latest posts

Back