Bulbophyllum treschii ‘Octopussy’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw these flowers at the Ecuador WOC and had to have one (or 3). Finally bloomed one after killing 3 (not my fault I swear). It is so spectacular a flower and to think that nature created one to grace this world is simply astounding. Anyways I will let the pictures take your breath away.

FD1D1B46-5EB2-4F67-A5CB-40BDD6E4564C.jpeg 9F9D3864-B908-4A68-9F73-6E81A70237A8.jpeg 71F6C28D-41CE-441A-9924-E7DE3C26891F.jpeg 634BF33A-29C8-4B2A-8DEA-1E5657B0469E.jpeg 3C4B775D-1588-43F4-9FBB-4CC8B9FEA8E2.jpeg 9A76E5D0-757D-4D3C-934E-9A491325CB52.jpeg

Somebody told me this one grows at a higher elevation, how long have you had it? Your mini orchid forest looks awesome!!

Thanks Troy. I have has it in the cool tank since Feb of last year and it is the second bloom, attempted thrice (one blasted). You can see the plant is next to the freezer part of the wine fridge where it will be iced over at night. It is def a cool-cold grower!

Dr Leslie,
Is the new setup based on a herpatology cabinet? I have been looking at those offered by Exo-Terra and it looks very similar to them.
They appear to have most things that you would need for an indoor orchidarium.
we are planning to move house this year so it will have to wait but I am very interested in setting one of these up.
can you offer any tips?
David

I like DLE's one more! More realistic :D

Attachments

• traditional-japanese-fukinagashi-under-bamboo-leaves-shower-tanabata-vector-illustration-poste...jpg
    traditional-japanese-fukinagashi-under-bamboo-leaves-shower-tanabata-vector-illustration-poste...jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 4
Dr Leslie,
Is the new setup based on a herpatology cabinet? I have been looking at those offered by Exo-Terra and it looks very similar to them.
They appear to have most things that you would need for an indoor orchidarium.
we are planning to move house this year so it will have to wait but I am very interested in setting one of these up.
can you offer any tips?
David
Yes indeed it is an ExoTerra 36H x 36L x 18W inches!

You will need wood pieces (cork is best) for landscape layout with height and base (mine took about 5 major pieces plus 4 smaller pieces), humidifier and a mist king system.

Plan the wood landscape with the store so it fits.

Other than that, design the tank as you please!

Latest posts

Back