Bulbophyllum Tingabarinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update!! This little guy must be extremely happy this year!! I originally stated and showed it had 3 spikes this year. Since then, it grew and flowered a 4th spike, and I just realized now, that it’s producing its 5th and 6th spike!!! Wow!!! AB455B98-3EC4-47D4-B3B5-0C968E7958B8.jpeg

Wow you are doing something right, that's for sure! I hope mine can eventually get somewhere. I've got 3, Mirum, Ambrosia and Lasiochilum. The Lasiochilum is in the ER still (a baggie with water added for high humidity).

Wow you are doing something right, that's for sure! I hope mine can eventually get somewhere. I've got 3, Mirum, Ambrosia and Lasiochilum. The Lasiochilum is in the ER still (a baggie with water added for high humidity).
My lasiochilum is a damn weed! I cut that thing back all the time and it won’t stop! Lol

Oh my gosh I have GOT to ask you what environment you are growing that Lasiochilum! Mine is growing so slowwwwwwly. Bought it 3/24/2020 from Ebay seller, it was in pretty bad condition. So far 3 small tiny leaves only because of plastic baggie ER and Ray's Kelp Max & K-Lite. Please share what you are doing right!

Oh my gosh I have GOT to ask you what environment you are growing that Lasiochilum! Mine is growing so slowwwwwwly. Bought it 3/24/2020 from Ebay seller, it was in pretty bad condition. So far 3 small tiny leaves only because of plastic baggie ER and Ray's Kelp Max & K-Lite. Please share what you are doing right!
Here’s my lasiochilum. I grow all of my orchids in my home, in a west window. They all get bright shade all day, and depending on the the time of year, get 2-4 hrs of direct sun in the afternoon. I have a cold humidifier and try to keep the humidity about 50 at night and 60-65 during the day, but during our brutal summers here where I live where almost everyday is between 95-110, the humidifier can’t keep up with the air conditioning in my home, when I need the humidity the most. It’s hard to keep it at 45-50 in the afternoons! BUT!!, I grew all my orchids in my home way before I had a humidifier, and they all did just fine! The key is tons of moister for the Bulbophyllum’s, and good light! Try to get the direct sun. I’ve noticed with all my Bulbophyllum, if they don’t get at least some DIRECT sun, they won’t bloom at all for me. All my Bulbophyllum’s are in either straight Sphagnum moss, or a semi-terrestrial mix I’ve created that the bulbo’s and my paphs that come from deep humus environments, are thriving in! image.jpgimage.jpg

Wow yours looks fantastic! Here's mine when I bought it and now. What a difference between yours and mine!!

I have a west window, but I grow under my LED's from theorchidhobbyist. Love those lights, have to get the 48 inch soon, I only have the 24" now. And I just got a cold humidifier, we shall see if it helps. I'm near Chicago and it's so dry in winter, it got down to 10%. Not healthy for us much less the plants. Summer stays around 50% or so.

The Ebay seller I purchased from is not good, but I bought it seeing that pic. I just didn't know any better. Paid way too much, about $30.00 plus shipping. I figure as long as I have it now I should make the best of it and see if I can save it. I didn't know the bulbs shouldn't look all shriveled up, they look like stars!

I finally recently re potted him into a 3" mesh pot. I put white styrofoam peanuts on bottom, next layer is seedling mix from repotme (still learning, can't make my own yet) top layer sphagnum. Back in the ER baggie she goes, to wait another month or so. At this point I've completely covered the bulbs with sphagnum so as to maintain moisture. I open the baggie almost every night to check it just in case there's too much humidity going on. When I leave it out of the baggie for too long, the leaves turn yellow and fall off.

Not sure where to go from here, but I want to follow your lead!!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200604_224042.jpg
    20200604_224042.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200604_224143.jpg
    20200604_224143.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200604_224148.jpg
    20200604_224148.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200604_224156.jpg
    20200604_224156.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200727_223201.jpg
    20200727_223201.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200910_210946.jpg
    20200910_210946.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 5
Wow yours looks fantastic! Here's mine when I bought it and now. What a difference between yours and mine!!

I have a west window, but I grow under my LED's from theorchidhobbyist. Love those lights, have to get the 48 inch soon, I only have the 24" now. And I just got a cold humidifier, we shall see if it helps. I'm near Chicago and it's so dry in winter, it got down to 10%. Not healthy for us much less the plants. Summer stays around 50% or so.

The Ebay seller I purchased from is not good, but I bought it seeing that pic. I just didn't know any better. Paid way too much, about $30.00 plus shipping. I figure as long as I have it now I should make the best of it and see if I can save it. I didn't know the bulbs shouldn't look all shriveled up, they look like stars!

I finally recently re potted him into a 3" mesh pot. I put white styrofoam peanuts on bottom, next layer is seedling mix from repotme (still learning, can't make my own yet) top layer sphagnum. Back in the ER baggie she goes, to wait another month or so. At this point I've completely covered the bulbs with sphagnum so as to maintain moisture. I open the baggie almost every night to check it just in case there's too much humidity going on. When I leave it out of the baggie for too long, the leaves turn yellow and fall off.

Not sure where to go from here, but I want to follow your lead!!
What is that seedling mix comprised of? I found Bulbophyllum’s need constant moisture, and I don’t just mean wet bark... I’m not speaking for everyone, but for me, Bulbophyllum’s will NOT do well at all unless in straight Sphagnum or a terrestrial type mix. The mix I made that the Bulbophyllum’s and humus loving paphs are doing great in, and are having outstanding root growth, is as follows...
1 part- small bark (I prefer classic orchiata)
1 part- coco coir
1 part- 12-16 mesh silica sand
2 parts- New Zealand Sphagnum moss
So, not speaking for everyone and their unique growing conditions, but for me and mine in the home, Bulbophyllum’s need straight sphagnum or a terrestrial mix, and good light! Also, all my Bulbophyllum’s will grow good in the bright, indirect light, but NONE will flower without at least some direct sunshine for me. I’ve never grown with lights, but I’m sure they can make sun like light outputs. I don’t know really... by the way, here’s spike #5 and #6 blooming now on the tingabarinum.image.jpg

Deerfern, on the last foto it looks like most bulbs of your lasiochilum are covered with wet sphagnum, that may cause you rot and total loss of the plant. I had that once with a Bulb. fascinator.
I grow my Bulbophyllum in pure Orchiata of different size. e.g. sect. Macrobulbon is growing in Orchiata 12 - 18 mm.

I agree that Bulbs. need lots of light to bloom. My Bulb phalaenopsis with a max. leaflength of 117 cm and 11 leaves is hanging without sunlight and havent jet bloomed.

Latest posts

Back