Bulbophyllum Tingabarinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The color is quite striking...sort of pumpkin color on my monitor. The
thing I like most is the name; it has a musical ring to it.
It doesn’t come through in the pics, but the flowers are a sparkly metallic too. Super cool

Wow. I am so glad to hear they smell of cilantro! Someone had a list of fragrant ones, and it as we know, a lot of Bulbs don't smell very nice. A list I ran across showing fragrances said this one smells like (and excuse me, I'm just repeating what I read) stink beetles. Much rather smell cilantro, so maybe I will get this one after all! Beautiful flowers too you did a great job!

Someone had a list of fragrant ones, and it as we know, a lot of Bulbs don't smell very nice.

It's true, that some of the bulbo species are odorous (e.g. Bulb. phalaenopsis reeking of dead elephant, Bulb. trigonosepalum of dead fish, and Bulb. echinolabium just of death), this might especially ring true for some of the fly polinated species - but in general, I think, that the genus has got an overly bad press, as several of the species have no scent at all, but very beautiful flowers; and others an outright pleasant scent and very beautiful flowers (e.g. Bulb. ambrosia, Bulb. lobbii and Bulb. dearei)

Wow. I am so glad to hear they smell of cilantro! Someone had a list of fragrant ones, and it as we know, a lot of Bulbs don't smell very nice. A list I ran across showing fragrances said this one smells like (and excuse me, I'm just repeating what I read) stink beetles. Much rather smell cilantro, so maybe I will get this one after all! Beautiful flowers too you did a great job!
Stink beetles? Lol interesting. Well we all have different sniffers I guess! Lol it is a very lovely cilantro smell to me, and from research I’ve done, that’s a common scent for this species.

Good growing, Jewel!

And I am glad to hear, we're here dealing with a bulbo with a pleasant smell/scent....I love cilantro, so now can't wait for my own li'l one to reach maturity and bloom!
I too LOVE cilantro! I literally put it in everything I cook! Haha

A little tip on this species, I had it for a couple years in bright shade, and it didn’t bloom... I started giving it 3-4 hrs of direct, afternoon sun, and boom! Blooms every summer now.

It's true, that some of the bulbo species are odorous (e.g. Bulb. phalaenopsis reeking of dead elephant, Bulb. trigonosepalum of dead fish, and Bulb. echinolabium just of death), this might especially ring true for some of the fly polinated species - but in general, I think, that the genus has got an overly bad press, as several of the species have no scent at all, but very beautiful flowers; and others an outright pleasant scent and very beautiful flowers (e.g. Bulb. ambrosia, Bulb. lobbii and Bulb. dearei)
I agree. Bulbo’s have A bad reputation of stink, which is true for many, but I’ve smelled many species that are quite pleasant as well. My Lasiochilum smells of strong cinnamon! Not natural cooking cinnamon, but candied Christmas cinnamon, and my Frostii smells of fresh cut grass.

How often do you water the plant? I have it too and noticed yesterday that two of the buds have dried up/blasted. I love this little guy, just got it a couple months back. I’ll have to give it the ‘sniff test’. Wasn’t aware it had a fragrance.

How often do you water the plant? I have it too and noticed yesterday that two of the buds have dried up/blasted. I love this little guy, just got it a couple months back. I’ll have to give it the ‘sniff test’. Wasn’t aware it had a fragrance.
I grow it in sphagnum and keep it very moist. I let it become just damp, then water again.

Thanks for sharing. One for my list. With all those aerial roots, are you going to mount it?
No, I can’t keep high enough humidity for that. Some of those root tips are starting to brown... When it’s done blooming, I will repot and move the cluster of bulbs over in the pot.

Same procedure in my collection, nearly everything is potted, what makes sometimes problems with aerial roots. But it works with lower humiditiy.

Same procedure in my collection, nearly everything is potted, what makes sometimes problems with aerial roots. But it works with lower humiditiy.
Yep. We do what we can for our growing conditions and, they either adapt, or they don’t. I’m hard them. I have the attitude where you live or die. Get tough plant! Lol

Latest posts

Back