Bulbophyllum Taiwan Cicad (I think)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnyr5

Reaction score
This was purchased as Bulbphyllum arfakianum, but I highly doubt it as the flower measures nearly 10cm. My best guess is Bulbo Taiwan Cicad ( arfakianum x burfordiense) or, if you're a lumper, Bulbophyllum Hsinying Grand-Arfa (arfakianum x grandiflorum). Either way, it's cool as hell. The sepals were fused at first but split apart with a light jostle. I suspect they'd have split on their own, eventually. When it first opened, it smelled very much like Paph malipoense, now it smells like vomit. Nothing to worry about, it's extremely faint and undetectable from a few fingers' widths away from the flower. The 6mm lip is hinged and wobbles with the slightest breeze.
Bulbo TC 1.jpgBulbo TC 2.jpgBulbo TC full plant.jpgBulbo TC lip detail.jpg
Bulbo TC callus & petals.jpg

I have a love/hate relationship with Bulbos. I can't grow them worth a damn, but they endlessly fascinate
me. This one is a bit scary...also attractive. Know what I mean????

I have a love/hate relationship with Bulbos. I can't grow them worth a damn, but they endlessly fascinate
me. This one is a bit scary...also attractive. Know what I mean????
" Ya know the kinda eats, the kinda red hot treats, the kinda sticky-licky sweets I CRRRRAAAAVVVVEEEEE" That kinda scary?

Yeah you've got the name right. The other plant they also sell as Bulb. arfakianum green is a new species in the process of being described from Ambon Island

Latest posts

Back