Bulbophyllum ornatissimum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phaladdict

Orchids addict
Reaction score
Often mislabelled as roth but looking at first description and drawings and also looking at both species side by side difference in lip, Palae, papillose sepals on roth smooth on ornatissimum etc are evident...

Attachments

• IMG_20191114_094623.jpg
    IMG_20191114_094623.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 18
I always guess it is bulbo roth. However, from the above description, I am not sure it is bulbo roth or ornatissimum

Attachments

• 20181112_111614.jpg
    20181112_111614.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 7
It is a ornatissimum, a nice one, difference are non papillose sepals, striped dorsal and petals, different Palae and different lip, when you see the two side by side there is no mistaking: 90% of the roth photos I see are in truth ornatissimum or hybrid of the two, just go back to first descriptions and drawings and you will see whath i mean is just an error we put forward since many years,the two species can be very similar indeed at first glance, not always it depend on ornatissimum population the yellow /creamy type is less likely to be confused.
Another big mistake is plants of appendiculatum or putidum very often sold as ornatissimum, sometimes even hybrids are sold as such.
I have a photo comparison collage of the species done by my friend Roland Amsler, will post it so you can see better looking at these side by side

Latest posts

Back