Bulbophyllum medusae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paphjoint

ENJOY!!

medusaemrbig.jpg

OMG - fabulous!!! You're killing me & Grandma, as we are dying for ours to look half that good! What is your potting media! Thanks Uri!

Wow

Uri

My heart almost stopped. :smitten::smitten::smitten:

I have never seen one that beautiful, even in pictures. Rose is right, we would love to see ours look even a fraction that good.

What are you growing it in? How wide, and how deep, is your pot? How old is that plant? How often do you water it? Do you mist it? It has a pink tinge, is that the lighting? Questions, questions, questions.

THANKS for posting that. Now I need to go get a cup of coffee to calm down my anxious heart. Possibly, I might need something stronger than coffee.

Grandma

Thank you guys

THe plant is grown in a 40 cm pot with greenmix (rockwool perlite mix)

It needs plenty water and light when in active growth which is from spring to now-- it flowers as the new psb's matures-- then gets a slight rest during the winther month as I don't want it to start new growth.

The plant does not bother beeing kept wet permanently when in growth but keep it a bit dryer during the winther months. Light is essential -- give it as much light as for a Cattleya. It is a intermediate to warm so I don't think it would thrive in a cool basement.

Uri, you are making me so jealous...;) Your plant has more than 10 spikes on a single blooming..!! :drool:i've never even seen any competition size plants that good... congrats on your good growing... :)

Grandma m, you don't need coffee or anything else... you need more bulbos, and larger ones now... hehe...:D

Uri

Thanks for your reply. It was a picture of medusae that enticed me to try my first bulbo. Even in my imagination, I can't dream of ever owning one like that. I have two of them and just hope I can keep them alive and growing......and some day, possibly blooming. I have never seen one, except in pictures, but now I am dreaming about mine looking like that, although I will be happy just to see it bloom.

I have one planted in a very pretty low bowl but I think it does not have proper drainage, it stays damp too long, so I will need to repot it. I don't have rockwool, but I will try bark with about 1/4 perlite....and a different pot. Does that sound about right?

How old is your plant? How long do I need to wait to see a bloom? I have one with 4 small bulbs, doing well, and one with 5 bulbs which is not happy. I need patience, I know. Anyone growing orchids needs patience, but sometimes it is difficult. If I knew where I could find a larger plant, almost ready to bloom, I would buy it.

Thanks, again, for posting that beautiful photo.

paphioboy. I like your suggestion. I would try it your way if I could find that plant. Do you think Uri would ship me his?

Hi Grandma
I think it was the same picture that did it for me -- it was in the AOS in the early 80's the plant fromes Jones and Scully had 110 inflorescences - it got an CCM an 90 Points

I've had it for a bit more than two years now it was already quite big when I bought it-- once the plants start to thrive it'll grow very fast and even be difficult to contain in a pot.

Uri

Thanks for your reply. It was a picture of medusae that enticed me to try my first bulbo. Even in my imagination, I can't dream of ever owning one like that. I have two of them and just hope I can keep them alive and growing......and some day, possibly blooming. I have never seen one, except in pictures, but now I am dreaming about mine looking like that, although I will be happy just to see it bloom.

I have one planted in a very pretty low bowl but I think it does not have proper drainage, it stays damp too long, so I will need to repot it. I don't have rockwool, but I will try bark with about 1/4 perlite....and a different pot. Does that sound about right?

How old is your plant? How long do I need to wait to see a bloom? I have one with 4 small bulbs, doing well, and one with 5 bulbs which is not happy. I need patience, I know. Anyone growing orchids needs patience, but sometimes it is difficult. If I knew where I could find a larger plant, almost ready to bloom, I would buy it.

Thanks, again, for posting that beautiful photo.

paphioboy. I like your suggestion. I would try it your way if I could find that plant. Do you think Uri would ship me his?

Hi Grandma
I think it was the same picture that did it for me -- it was in the AOS in the early 80's the plant fromes Jones and Scully had 110 inflorescences - it got an CCM an 90 Points
I've had it for a bit more than two years now it was already quite big when I bought it-- once the plants start to thrive it'll grow very fast and even be difficult to contain in a pot.

Yep that's the one!!! You're certainly on the way!Thanks for the info!

mine bloomed yesterday for the first time....I hope it will look like yours soon.

mine bloomed yesterday for the first time....I hope it will look like yours soon.

I'm waiting to see the picture of yours. How many bulbs does yours have? Do you get flowers from each bulb about the same time, or do they each bloom at their own chosen time?

Latest posts

Back