bulbophyllum medusae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

this specimen of medusae was 'collected' from a fruit estate... actually, it fell to the ground...its actual home was on a rambutan tree.. i grow it on one of my artificial logs, and it seems happy.. :D

That is soooooooo beautiful. :smitten::smitten::smitten:

How large is the plant? I have one but haven't thought of mounting it because I believed it would get too large for a mount. I can't wait for mine to bloom, those flowers are so unusual. Mine only had 4 bulbs but they are quite large bulbs. How large, or old, do they need to be before they bloom?

:clap::clap: Love it!!! :drool:
PS. yours is big enough! BTW my B.roth is spiking too!

My favorite drawing by Paphioboy - framed

cirrcercanthumframed4.jpg

Cirr. cercanthum by paphioboy - framed by Grandma

Paphioboy

This is the one I promised to photograph for you. I made the photo a bit darker, printed it (unhappily not on the right paper) and placed it in a pewter frame. I tried to make the drawing more black, but I lost some of the detail. The frame is perfect for the drawing. I actually had the frame for quite a long time, but never had the right thing to put in it. Your drawing is perfect.

My photo shows the pewter much darker than it really is. It really has a soft patina. I really should re-print it on better paper, because it draws so much attention from my guests, and I believe the correct paper would enhance the drawing.

I hope I haven't broken any copyright privileges by printing it up for my own use. As I have said before, I love your drawings.

Rose

Please.....don't knock the bud off like I did, then I would have to cry some more crocodile tears. :sob:

I'm guarding my frostii bud with my life. I'm determined to bloom at least one without a disaster.

Grandma M, you flatter me... thank you so much.. :) of course you can print it... my medusae is not a large plant. the plant (bulbs + leaves) is about 4 inches high.. goldenrose, i am so jealous... you have b.roth! :p i am told that it fetches a very high price, so it is damn expensive here... oh, well... Elizabeth Ann is a good substitute for roth, i suppose... do post pics when it blooms. thanks.!

Paphioboy

Yes it is expensive.

I just paid $70.00 for a rothschildianum 'CrownPoint'. Shortly after I had it, I was watering it, and knocked off two buds. I told Rose that I wanted to cry crocdile tears.:sob::sob:

I expected????? when it would bud up, the buds would stand up. I'm new to bulbos, I didn't expect to find them almost under the plant. :crazy:

I won't do that again. My frostii is in bud now. These buds are where I can see them. I'll post a pic when it booms......cross your fingers. I don't want another disaster.

Grandma M, you flatter me... thank you so much.. :) of course you can print it... my medusae is not a large plant. the plant (bulbs + leaves) is about 4 inches high.. goldenrose, i am so jealous... you have b.roth! :p i am told that it fetches a very high price, so it is damn expensive here... oh, well... Elizabeth Ann is a good substitute for roth, i suppose... do post pics when it blooms. thanks.!

Thanks paphioboy, I didn't find them expensive here in the states or did I just get lucky? They're both mounted & have 3-4 bulbs. I got got both off ebay, the first, in spike, from moonlit gardens for $22.35. The second is a division of 'Adoribil' x 'Red Chimney' from ott $15.99. I have a new growth? or is it spiking too?

That is soooooooo beautiful. :smitten::smitten::smitten:

How large is the plant? I have one but haven't thought of mounting it because I believed it would get too large for a mount. I can't wait for mine to bloom, those flowers are so unusual. Mine only had 4 bulbs but they are quite large bulbs. How large, or old, do they need to be before they bloom?

Here is a side by side comparison of the 2 medusae I have, I'll let you be the judge! The one on the left has 6 bulbs,came potted(overgrowing), I put it in hydro & the one on the right I bought already mounted, it's sprouting it's 5th bulb.

I guess, until they both bloom, I won't really know if they are both medusae???

I know they come pure white and also spotted white. When you buy a medusae, should it say on the label which it is, or do you just wait until it blooms to see what you have? Do the plants of both white or spotted look the same?

I know they come pure white and also spotted white. When you buy a medusae, should it say on the label which it is, or do you just wait until it blooms to see what you have? Do the plants of both white or spotted look the same?
I've not seen a difference in the plants. It's possible not everyone know there are spotted and pure white forms. If that's the case, you may have to wait until it blooms. I think Porter's noted on their tags which was which.

Dot
Your personal choice, which do you think is most attractive?

The last time I was at Porters, they only had the spotted one listed. That was the only time I have seen them listed as different plants. I should have talked more with Bill about them, but He did give me some good suggestions, and most of the plants I bought from him were all but bursting their pots. I even was able to take some pieces off to give to Rose, and the plants hardly showed where I took them off. They are all doing great.

Bulbos are rather new to me. As you know, I had quite a collection of catts, but I lost some of them to scale. I just got tired of fighting with scale.....the scale was winning, so many of them went into that "Big Green Box" in my garage. Bulbos have moved in and do well.

My only problem with the bulbos is that so many of them prefer mounting and I really haven't figured out where to place mounted plants. I need a little time but, I WILL figure a way out of my dilemma.

Grandma M, i read somewhere that bulbo medusae needs a heavy drenching and low temperature to initiate flowering... i think it is true.. i visited a nursery after the rainy season about a month ago and they had a lot of medusae in bloom...

Which is the right answer? I read it will not bloom if kept too cool. I have a lot to learn about bulbos.

Which is the right answer? I read it will not bloom if kept too cool. I have a lot to learn about bulbos.

Porter's keep theirs in the warm house. It never gets "cool" in there, and they bloom faithfully every year.

My favorite? Whichever one is in bloom... They are both interesting.

Whatever Bulbos/Cirrs/etc. are for sale are divisions of Bill's plants. So when the spotted form gets large enough to divide, that's what you'll see there. Same for the white form. There was a time we had some of each at the same time. I think we are out of both right now.

I think the main reason for mounting Bulbos is that they sprawl so. I only have a couple, although I had a bunch a year or so ago. I decided they took up too much space for the duration of the flowering period. I grew/grow them in small PrimeAgra & Sponge Rock in bulb pans. They seem to like the combination of airiness and moisture retained by the little clay balls.

Latest posts

Back