Bulbophyllum frostii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always found the flowers endearing...they sort of remind me of cute little dutch clogs 😍
I would have said that they didn't have a smell... but pressed by your question, abax, I unfortunately discovered, that they have one... but you have to stick your nose right next to the flowers, before you discover the very faint odour of "what dogs leave in the streets" - thank god, you wouldn't notice unless you try really hard! I don't know for sure, but guess that the plant is fly polinated.
...very colorful and strange
If you find this one strange, you should take a closer look at the next Bulbo I'm about to post (B. fascinator) 😉

Last edited:
Yours is very beautiful and very solid red. Looks very healthy as well. I love mine, and it grows like a weed!!! Only flowers for me though if it gets at least a couple hrs of direct warm sun. I grow mine in straight sphagnum moss in a wooden basket.7E45CF4A-A509-41C4-B6E6-2D46113331CA.jpeg

I've never seen this bulbo and it's quite interesting...very colorful and
strange. Is this a stinky one?
im not sure about the dog crap smell... mine smells of very green cut grass.

The growth medium is my usual Greenmix: "GreenMix for Orchids is a mixture of water-repellent and water-absorbent granulate with added perlite and lignite. The granulate is made from stonewool, the basic element of which is diabase rock. GreenMix for orchids is produced by Grodania A/S". It was developed in a cooperation with our local mastergrower, Hans Christiansen of Fredensborg, who 2019 could celebrate his 50th years anniversary as independent orchid nursery owner.

Kind regards,
Jens

Nice species!

At least 95% of the Bulbophyllum are not smelly...a very few of them have an offensive smell and some forum people don't help either. Bulbophyllum should never have been given such a bad reputation.

At least 95% of the Bulbophyllum are not smelly...Bulbophyllum should never have been given such a bad reputation.
I wholeheatedly agree! Some even have a nice, fragrant scent, as f.ex. B. ambrosia (hence the name), B. dearii and B. lobbii to mention, but a few!

(Although, the ones with the foul smell really can take your breath away - I guess, that might be the reason for them having contributed to the bad press of the genus. The two most notorious ones, I suppose, are B. phalaenopsis, smelling like an elephant cadavre would; and B. echinolabium kind of exuding its stench in puffs...reeking simply of death, like the kiss of a dementor would, I imagine.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back