Bulbophyllum echinolabium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, so here's a question on behalf of my boyfriend (we all know my track record with bulbos... so I am of no use to him here). He loves the oddball orchids and really wants one. Anyone here successfully grow them and can give some recommendations.

I grow mine in a pot of Phrag mix and I grow it fairly bright and moist, right along side my strap-leafed Paphs. They are fairly heavy feeders. The fragrance can be a bit strong for one's house.

My only real advice: spend the money to get one that's already pretty big, or blooming size.

Besides that, I guess I'd just say that it likes a good amount of water, and a good amount of air movement, but that's probably not news. If you grow outside most of the year, I'd put it in sphag in a plastic hanging pot, stick it in a tree, and water regularly. Of course, if you're in LA, you might not have a tree available.

What kind of growing space do you use?

I have two that are pretty unstoppable. One was an established seedling from Troy Meyers that got big enough to bloom in about 2 years, the second was from a friend who had it for a couple of years, and couldn't really get it to go. Both are in hanging baskets, one in sphagnum moss, and the other in coconut coir.

Give them humidity in excess of 70% and good airflow with medium light and they turn into monster jungle plants real fast.

I don't really know anything about Bulbos, but I do know that I would commit virtually any misdemeanor and most minor felonies in order to procure a piece of Bulbophyllum minutissimum.

I'd have to echo everyone else good light and moisture and air movement

I grow all my bulbos (including echinolabium) mounted. They get medium natural light and watered on a regular basis. I think the most important thing is to not let them get too cold.

Im sure many vendors here have some of various sizes. I can speak from experience that the one I got from Andys was around 35-40dollars and i got it at the GYNOS show in spring of 07, it bloomed for the first time a month or two ago and the second bud is poking up now. I thought it was a good price and it didnt take long to bloom. Always good to ask how big they are before ordering if you arent buying in person. G'luck!

I got a flask from Troy Meyers a while ago. Maybe 2 years? Most are very happy in s/h. Still a couple years away from blooming though. If they all bloom out together it may be the end of me.

I got a flask from Troy Meyers a while ago. Maybe 2 years? Most are very happy in s/h. Still a couple years away from blooming though. If they all bloom out together it may be the end of me.

I have been entertaining the idea of trying out some bulbos in s/h. Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I'll be making a trip down to Andy's soon. :D

Latest posts

Back