Bulbophyllum echinolabium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this plant on an eBay auction in 2014. It put on lots of new growths, but no flowers...until this summer when I went away on vacation. When I came back, it was in spike!

And here it is! Just opened this morning!!

Here come the flies!

Nice red color but the smell is so bad.

I can't decide if it's poop or death. My mom said it smells like dirty baby diapers.

Oh wow! A star for flies! Nicely grown plant, congrats!

The flies have been guarding it fiercely! A las moscas les encanta!

A very nice flowering !

I'm hoping to have 3 flowers open at once at some point.

Fantastic, and what a wonderfully grown specimen too.

It's grown very well, putting on 6+ new growths per year. Just took awhile to bloom. No idea what triggered it.

I really love it.

Good one. Thanks for sharing

I'm so proud of it! It really makes me happy, this is a magnificent orchid.

Another great species a stinky species. I don't grow this one but do have a hybrid with it as a parent.

Use to grow this in Singapore and always made people to stop and stair. Might be mean but I'd always make the students smell the flower

I love this flower -- as long as I don't get too close.

Both the flower and the fragrance are intriguing.

Stinky beauty! lol

Best looking stink there is.

Another great species a stinky species. I don't grow this one but do have a hybrid with it as a parent.

Use to grow this in Singapore and always made people to stop and stair. Might be mean but I'd always make the students smell the flower

I would do the same but the flower has folded after only 3 days :(

I struggle to keep new growths on mine. It usually makes 10 plus and only 2 make it during winter

Wow, 3 flower spikes!!!! Great plant!!!!
mine is about to open its second bud (1 spike only) whereas the first one aborted!
Jean

Moved indoors last week because of cool weather (and to keep away from blasted flies!)

Three flowers soon to be open at once! And of course, judging was this PAST weekend ! ! :(

Color is somewhat distorted by the metal halide lamp.

Better color in daylight

I struggle to keep new growths on mine. It usually makes 10 plus and only 2 make it during winter

Here's what I do:
30C degree days, 20C degree nights (average)
Constantly moist medium with regular flushing
Sphagnum and medium-grade bark mix
70% shade, 12 hour minimum photoperiod
30-10-10 fertilizer @ 1/4 strength every 3-4 weeks

I've stayed pretty much within these parameters since I've had the plant. Are you doing anything different?

Wow, 3 flower spikes!!!! Great plant!!!!
mine is about to open its second bud (1 spike only) whereas the first one aborted!
Jean

It took 3 years but I'm happy to finally have flowers, thank you!

Latest posts

Back