Bulbophyllum dayanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got this from Far East Agriculture in 2015, and it finally bloomed (the photo is from April 12, 2020). Pretty interesting flower (dissected flower photos on my blog post (link)). It is a slow grower for me.

View attachment 21360View attachment 21362View attachment 21361
Lovely, exotic flowers and a well-grown plant. Bulbophyllums are often slow to reach blooming size. I find that the best potting medium, if potted, is loosely packed moss. Their thin, aerial roots need to stay moist long enough to absorb water and nutrients. One grower I know had a large plant growing out of its pot with many leads out in the air. She went to the trouble of tying small bundles of moss to the many bunches of aerial roots: this was successful and the plant grew and flowered well. Otherwise you need greenhouse culture with high humidity. They also appreciate frequent feeding with half strength fertilizer, not quarter strength as is generally used with other orchids.

The first thing I thought of was Little Shop of Horrors-FEED ME! :D I also find it very cool and endearing at the same time. 🥰

Susan

Latest posts

Back