Bulbo wendlandianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Believe it or not this is a Bulbo wendlandianum. I got it as a division from Ed M, and I've seen the parent plant in bloom. Its a huge and floriferous plant, but the blooms are long and skinny, very typical for the species. These blooms look more like roth blooms, and there are 7-8 blooms in each umbel.

I know. It looks like a roth. But this is a peice of Ed's wendlandianum ( I don't think he even has a roth to accidentally confuse it with) and Ed's plant blooms out consistently looking like a normal wendlandianum. I think I've got a picture of it from the Huntsville orchid show that I posted. Pretty crazy!

NYEric said:
Yes post the original plant photo.
Apparently I had not. This picture is crappy since I cropped from a much bigger photo, but you can still see the differences.

It's a thumbnail so you can click on it and see it much bigger.

Actually it is a mix up.

Ed apparently mixed up his Bulbo Crownpoint (frostii X rothschildianum) with his wendlandianum divisions. He's been looking everywhere in his GH for it for the last year or so too:poke: :poke:

Actually Ron, I thought this looked very familiar to our frostii x roth hybrids, that are blooming right now, but I am such a novice in the world of bulbos... It is sad that I get to work with thousands of these things and I haven't gleaned much information from them ....Bulbos that is.

Rick said:
Actually it is a mix up.
Ed apparently mixed up his Bulbo Crownpoint (frostii X rothschildianum) with his wendlandianum divisions. He's been looking everywhere in his GH for it for the last year or so too:poke: :poke:
Yes we consumers love to go to vendors looking for something specific only to hear, " Yes, I have one somewhere around here."!?!?!? Luckily, that works the other way too; and you sometimes get a hidden beauty.

Actually I'm going to swap it back with Ed for a wendlandiuanum. I'm not much into hybrids, and he really missed the crownpoint.

Having been in Ed's GH I'm only a little suprized that he had a mix up. He has thousands of plants in impecable condition, but sometimes he gets a bit overcrowded.

I guess this is the danger of drinking while repotting:poke: :poke:

I wish my Crownpoint would bloom! :sob:

(that wasn't really the appropriate emoticon, but it's cute, so there we go)

Sue said:
I wish my Crownpoint would bloom! :sob:

(that wasn't really the appropriate emoticon, but it's cute, so there we go)

Where did you get yours Sue? I was digging for some photos of this hybrid and came across your old collection list post of "my SO would kill me if she knew" that showed you had one.

Marilyn LeDoux (Windy Hill), if I'm not mistaken. I'll check in the morning and correct, if I'm wrong.

Latest posts

Back