Bulbo blumei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
This has a 2.25" flower and will bloom multi times from spring through fall. This is an awarded clone but I can't think of the clonal name off hand...something like 'Scarlet Robin Dancer' or the first 2 words reversed.

blumei-1.jpg

Hey Ron, how big is this plant? I bought several of these last fall to sell... and I have no idea how close they are to blooming size. Mine have 5 or so pseudobulbs and the leaves are maybe 3 or 4 inches long.

Thanks!

Matt

Ron-NY said:
Did I get this one from you, Jon? I don't have it marked down who it came from.

I believe you got this as a division from me Ron.

I got the plant awarded a couple of years ago.

How many blooms has it got on it? Mine has turned into a small bush.

Rick it now has about 10 p-bulbs and I had a total of 4 or 5 flowers this year paced out from spring through now. This particular flower has the best form so far...I can't wait until mine is a bush :D

gore42 said:
Hey Ron, how big is this plant? I bought several of these last fall to sell... and I have no idea how close they are to blooming size. Mine have 5 or so pseudobulbs and the leaves are maybe 3 or 4 inches long.

Thanks!

Matt

Mine has leaves up to 9" long, but I think that blooming has more to do with how crowded the pot gets rather than how bug the leaves or bulbs are once they get to a stable size (i.e. new leaves and bulbs aren't any bigger than the previous).

I origionally got mine as a blooming size plant in a 6" basket with lots of room. It took almost 2 years before it bloomed and at that point it was starting to go over the sides of the basket. This seems to be a recuring theme in many of my bulbos.

Ron-NY said:
Rick it now has about 10 p-bulbs and I had a total of 4 or 5 flowers this year paced out from spring through now. This particular flower has the best form so far...I can't wait until mine is a bush :D

Bush is probably an over statement. Its actually about the size of a basket ball.

I counted 13 open flowers on it this morning.:clap:

I noticed the water on the flower in the picture, and I've found that the tails will often free up when I spray them lightly with water.

13 flowers at the same time :clap: can't wait!! I love this one Rick thanks for sharing it with me

I have noted that the plant coming over the side of the basket is about the time of flowering size but I start in 4" baskets so 5-6 p-bulbs will do it.

My blumei is back in action.

After taking a reprieve of several months, my blumei has gotten serious about blooming again. I spiked it a couple times with bone meal, and then I've been foliar feeding with epson salts weekly for the last month or so. It really greened up, and pushed up a dozen or so spikes!

This is a record single bloom for this plant just clearing 14 cm long (the longest bloom was 11 cm when it got its AM)!

Latest posts

Back