Bulb. penicillium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
Bill Porter gave me a little piece of his plant -- I was surprised, a couple weeks later, to find it had 3 spikes! The synonym for it is Bulb inopinatum. The flowers are tiny.

Bulb_penicillium-plant.jpg

Bulb_penicillium-flowers.jpg

Very very nice!!!!!!!!!

What temps and light do you keep your bulbos?

Oh man! That's awesome.

I just looked it up. It's a highland species from Asia. Probably wants it too cold for me to grow :(

Last edited:
Oh man! That's awesome.

I just looked it up. It's a highland species from Asia. Probably wants it too cold for me to grow :(

I was thinking of the B. barbigerum complex. They have moving/squirmy red fuzzy lips. And they like warm temps.

Very very nice!!!!!!!!!

What temps and light do you keep your bulbos?

I was thinking of the B. barbigerum complex. They have moving/squirmy red fuzzy lips. And they like warm temps.
I only have 3 Bulbs. This one is a warmer grower, bright filtered light. The other two are more intermediate, but similar light.

There is a controversy in our judging center about the name for this plant. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'll let you know if/when it's resolved.

I agree with Rick that this looks related to barbigerum or even sometihing like saltatorium. All of the pictures I've seen of penicillium online don't match up with yours, Dot. Honestly, I think yours is better, whatever the ID :)

Glad to hear it's a warm grower. If you do find out it isn't penicillium I'd like to know, so I can be on the look out for this one.

Today I got a verification of the ID, and some good news:

This plant is indeed Bulbophyllum saltatorium Lindl. var. albociliatum (Finet) J.J. Verm
The person ID-ing is from Canada and is close to publishing a Bulbophyllum monograph. I knew she was working on it, but apparently it is close to being finished. It is much needed!

Time to change my tag!

Goods, I think Bill Porter (Porter's Orchids) may still have some for sale. It's not on his website, but you can call and ask. Or email him.

Latest posts

Back