Bulb. Elizabeth Ann -- highly recommended

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy

Reaction score
One of my favorite orchids. It's very vigorous. One of its parents is Bulb. longissimum. This species is so pretty and graceful and I used to have it, but it's difficult to keep because it's very prone to rot and old leaves and bulbs die back quickly. Elizabeth Ann doesn't do that, it grows and grows and grows, while retaining the cool looks of its longissimum parent. Highly recommended.

Having said that, I heard it rarely flowers if grown in constant hot conditions, needs good day/night fluctuations to initiate the blooms.

IMG_8283.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us. Besides Paph's, I am sorely tempted to add (many) Bulbo's and species Phal's to my collection. I must look away now...

Funny about the hot conditions. My swamp cooler went out twice during the hottest week of the year and about a month later mine bloomed for the first time in my collection. Of course the rest of the collection now looks like crap, but the bulbos finally bloomed!

I have one of these in spike now and I love this plant too. I find it one of the easier bulbos to bloom. I saw a talk by Bill Tomes and he said all of the divisions of Elizabeth ann'Buckleberry'are 4n. Interesting

EAB definitely demonstrates hybrid vigour relative to either of the parent species. I've seen several of these as monster specimen plants in this region. A few have been awarded with cultural awards.

I have both the parents (not the hybrid) and find them pretty easy to grow too. Though the rothschildianum is slower growing though than the longissimum. Although the longsisimum was always a fast grower, it was always burning leaf tips and shedding leaves before cutting K. I also have wendlandianum which would barely grow at all until going to low K Fert. Now they all seem unstopable weeds!

I have longisimum in spike now too (so far 4 spikes starting).

That is nice!

For me, the problem with Bulbos is that they grow too fast and the flowers don't last long enough. But they are cool! So many different shapes and colors. And "fragrances."

Latest posts

Back