"Bud" Progression on Amorphophallus titanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

One of our Amorphophallus titanum's is about ready to bloom! I thought it would be fun to show the progression of the flower bud. Although I hardly call it a "Bud"; it is already pretty big (I would say it is currently already 3.5 feet tall)!

The corm when we dug it out of it's old pot. We noticed it was starting to sprout again, and decided to repot it, as it was starting to outgrow it's old pot. We estimated that the corm weighed about 100 to 150 lbs! The photo was taken on May 8th 2013:

Almost two weeks later, after we repotted it, the bud had grown considerably. At this point we concluded it was going to be a flower bud, rather than a new leaf! The photo was taken May 21st:

Today's photo (May 24th):

Robert

Oeps, I guess I posted this in the wrong section. Feel free to move it!

Robert

Ok, some updated photos:

This picture is from last Friday (May 31st):

These 2 pictures are from today (June 3rd):

Robert

cool!
have you thought of getting in touch with Mo Fayyaz at U of Wisconsin Madison?
he may have pollen, if you want to try to breed it

Holy Banana, this is impressive. Please do let us know (once open) how bad, for real, the smell REALLY IS!!!

Cheers!

Holy Banana, this is impressive. Please do let us know (once open) how bad, for real, the smell REALLY IS!!!

Cheers!

We had another one bloom 3 years ago. I could already smell it before I opened the greenhouse doors! The way I describe the odor is a combination of the following 3 things: The smell of a pile of rotting cabbage, mixed with a pile of rotting fish, mixed with the smell of a dead cow that has been laying in the ditch for a week! You can imagine how lovely it smells! Luckily the worst of the smell only lasts for about 24 hours.

Robert

This is inspiring...I'm waiting for my bulbifer and konjac to emerge in my yard (they usually come up late June)...maybe this year my konjac will finally bloom.

Update on the corpse Flower as of June 10th. She is still growing! The lower bracts fell off over the weekend, and the Spathe is starting to turn red. Now you know what inspired "Audrey" from the Little shop of horrors!

up close:

Robert

Latest posts

Back