Bud blasting on my Phragmipedium lindleyanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
I have been growing this Phragmipedium lindleyanum for some years now and a few weeks ago I was excited to see a spike coming for the first time. Unfortunately, the buds are getting to about 2 cm's and then dropping off. It has happened three times now. Not being an experienced grower of Phrags, I was wondering what the likely cause is and how I can prevent it?

One possible cause may be the heat. It has been incredibly hot here with the glasshouse regularly reaching temperatures in the mid 30 degrees (Celsius).

Thanks

It sounds like it could be heat stress.
Mid thirties must be way too hot for flowers of most phrags.
Is there anything you can do to reduce the temperature?
Can it go somewhere outside the greenhouse in the shade?
David

It sounds like it could be heat stress.
Mid thirties must be way too hot for flowers of most phrags.
Is there anything you can do to reduce the temperature?
Can it go somewhere outside the greenhouse in the shade?
David

Thanks David, Ed.

Hard to reduce the temperature in the greenhouse. We are regularly getting maximum outside temperatures in the high thirties to the low 40's. I can't grow them outside either as it is hotter than inside the greenhouse with much lower humidity. Might be best to just bring it inside the house where the temperature is much cooler.

It is the middle of summer here. Is that the normal time this species flowers? If so, there might not be much point growing it long term.

They grow in 1000- 3000 m , if they grow in lower ranges it's in areas that stay cool, in a microclimate that stays cool due to evaporative cooling most likely or an area that is cooled by cold mountain runoff water. Their temp range is in the teens celsius. I described a system of evaporative cooling one can use for greenhouses. When the temps get as high as you are talking about in seattle , my greenhouse stays in the mid eighties (F)

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47199

Last edited:
yeah, 19 celsius would be around 66 F..so , that plant may be too expensive to keep..although OrchidsLimited says they are heat tolerant...hmmm

They grow in 1000- 3000 m , if they grow in lower ranges it's in areas that stay cool, in a microclimate that stays cool due to evaporative cooling most likely or an area that is cooled by cold mountain runoff water. Their temp range is in the teens celsius. I described a system of evaporative cooling one can use for greenhouses. When the temps get as high as you are talking about in seattle , my greenhouse stays in the mid eighties (F)

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47199

Thanks. I do have a fogger which cools it a bit and keeps it humid. In the end my greenhouse is setup for multi-floral Paphs which love the heat. So if it means I can't grow Phrags, I can live with that.

Latest posts

Back