Bud blast on roth?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeaun

Reaction score
Hi there, about 2 weeks ago I noticed that there was a tight sheath in the axils of my roth which was the beginnings of the flower stalk. About 2 weeks later now and the sheath has pushed up a bit but its still not elongating very much? I heard that it takes up to 6 weeks for a roth to flower from the time you notice the sheath in the axils. I am wondering if the bud has blasted although it is still nice and green but still no sign of the usual long flower stalk associated with it? Attaching the pics of the before(16 days ago) and what it is today? Anything I can do to egg it along?

https://imageshack.com/a/kz7l/1

It can actually take up to a year in sheath. Once you see the actual buds it take four weeks to bloom.

It can actually take up to a year in sheath. Once you see the actual buds it take four weeks to bloom.

a year? wow thats long. Would you consider mine to be still in a sheath as I cannot see the individual buds?

I was very worried about that with Berenice (because it has long petals too) and what I found is that they kind of unfold when the whole flower is out. Think about how a butterfly has to first get out of the crysalis, and then sort of unfold its wings, and allow them to "dry" or set into the appropriate shape. Gosh, I hope your Roth is okay.

The flower stalk is extending but really slowly - I have a phillipinense which already has a stalk about 3 times the length -- are roths typically so slow in developing their buds and flower stalks?

Latest posts

Back