browning in new leaf very close to crown?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco

Slipperless member
Reaction score
I have atiny PEOY seedling (not Matts) There's a new leaf that hasn't grown much since i got now. Now i'm noticing browning at the lower part of the leaf near the crown. For some reason I have a very bad feeling about this. Is this the beginnings of rot cause I dribbled some water in the center?

If it's soft and squishy, then it's probably crown rot and the plant is doomed. Once it hits the newest leaf you should know within a few days as the rot moves up the leaf and the plant gets squishy at the base and flops over.

--Stephen

well its not soft and squisy....that happened to one of my phals....i did major surgery on it and removed almost all the leaves but one...i was lucky enough for it to shoot out a basal keiki....this spoting is contained no stinky mush yet...and theres still green right above the base....

Marco said:
well its not soft and squisy....that happened to one of my phals....i did major surgery on it and removed almost all the leaves but one...i was lucky enough for it to shoot out a basal keiki....this spoting is contained no stinky mush yet...and theres still green right above the base....

Any chance you can get a photo? Is it brown on the edges of the leaf or in the interior? Is it bumpy looking at all?

I have my reasons for asking these questions.

here it is....sorry its a pretty bad picture... the browning doesnt go farther than the "v" from the 2 leaves directly below the first leaf...its not on the end and not bumpy...more like little brown pits

DSCN1245-1.jpg

its i dont think it started on the outside. thats what it looks like on the outside cause i cant get a picture of the inside...on the inside the brown coloring is more prominent and no crawlies...are you thinking thripe?

ok heres a picture of the inside

DSCN1246.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking thrips. Not to freak you out or anything, but now that I'm in tune with the thrips, I think I probably had them a lot longer than I realized but it wasn't until my climate control changed drastically that they really became evident enough to notice. Keep an eye out. I really find they come and go with the warm/cool weather.

A couple of my paphs look similar, but the damage wasn't evident until the new leaf had grown out of the crown a little. Always on the newest leaves like that.

Im crossing my fingers and hoping its rot and more than thrips. I have other polyantha seedlings within a seven inch diameter from the plant in question and no others show the same symptoms.

At night are thrips attracted to light??? Like moths and all that?

Heather said:
Not that I've noticed.
Ok just wondering cause those little flying green things with red eyes are attracted to light. They only come into my room at night and Ive check my sticky trap. And the only things on there are mainly fungus gnats some, a small amount of those little green things a few mosquitos, a fly and a clicker bug. I will definately keep an eye out on this little peoy though.

Latest posts

Back