brown spots on my 'pam x grace'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that J Fisher from OL had suggested Erythromycin or sulfa drugs for axial rots in phrags, so I did an internet searh on "plant antibiotics" and came up with PlantMedia [email protected]

I talked to Dr. Walhi (strong Indian accent, guessing at the spelling), who was quite familiar with Erwinia. Most intriguing was the life history acount, that orchids during the fast growth season (spring /summer) produce a lysing enzyme at the leaf axials to allow the new growth to get through. This produces a favourable environment for erwinia, and it cues in on this enzyme production.

I guess this environment is also low in oxygen since it smells like erwinia is a fermenter. So good airflow is crucial.

Dr Wally's first antibiotic choice would be Timentin if it wasn't so expensive, and has a huge order backlog, otherwise Carbenicillin and Cefotaxime were his next best choices. 5gr quantities should cover use on several plants, and the price was in the $50 to $60 range in this quantity.

Ask him if foodgrade neomyacin would work. They use it on cheese and hot dogs to prevent mold. I can get that relatively cheap in my line of work.

bwester said:
Ask him if foodgrade neomyacin would work. They use it on cheese and hot dogs to prevent mold. I can get that relatively cheap in my line of work.

Erwinea is a gram - bacteria, so if neomycin has good gram - capacity it could work. The general antibiotic lists for plants was quite extensive, and allot seemed to have good uptake through the roots for systemic use.

There is a fair amount of info on the PlantMedia website, not only antibiotics, but growth hormones and all kinds of wacky stuff. Check it out.

neomycin is an aminoglycoside so it should cover gram negatives well. unless you have HOSPITAL ACQUIRED erwinea that is panresistant. bleah.

Ask Heather what I would do to it. I throw plants away like that immediately. I do not feel that a sick plant is worth my time or space. I have even thrown away a fairrieanum... I know... I know.... I am pretty ruthless after working in the greenhouse and seeing how things like this can spread I err on the safe side. If you really want to try to be safe maybe Phyton 27? I am not sure. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back