Brown Rot?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm

I don't really have any better advice but I'd think they would have a better chance if they have good roots. Or at least they'd grow out new leaves faster I assume.

Great! It's tough save.
I guess if somehow crown rot stops and does not progress deep in the center, it's possible.

How did you arrest the rot?

I just soak it either in mancozeb or Physan (see above). I rarely find however when I get rot that it spreads rapidly throughout the plant and totally destroys it. Even when it gets in the crown the growth doesn't turn to mush and quickly die. I find the centre leaf may rot and as a result that growth never flowers. But then it just sends out new leads. Maybe this is a difference between bacterial and fungal rots.

Well, I never found physan to be effective for anything.

The description does not fit erwinia, then, which spreads very fast and turn plant into a mushy mess.

When I had rot ( three plants in the last few years, and they were all new purchase in spike), it happened at the very center, not even the leaves, but inside the center of the plant base.
It was the end. I tossed them as soon as I found the rot.

Ed, that's probably processed. It is not the same as pure. Read the DB thread.

Eric. This is what I bought on ebay. The wording on the bottle says 100% Sangro de Grado---- herb America(tm) Murphy.

Ed

Attachments

• DSC01281.JPG
    DSC01281.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC01282.JPG
    DSC01282.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 13
When was the last time it was repotted? I have always found it beneficial to un-pot clean up the root system, trim off any bad areas, hit it with the cinnamon or antibiotics. Many times the source of the rot is coming up from the roots and you don't know it until pops out on the bottom of the leaves. I would start with way less organic components in the mix as well.

Eric. This is what I bought on ebay. The wording on the bottle says 100% Sangro de Grado---- herb America(tm) Murphy.

Ed

FYI....

The value of the wording satisfies the legal labeling but is cleverly misleading.

All commercially distributed Sangre de Grado is processed. There is no way to collect the pure resin and be able to offer the product at the low online prices the trees just don't yield enough free flowing resin. The traditional method of collecting the resin is the same a how rubber trees are tapped, make cuts in the bark and collect the drops of "blood" as the tree "bleeds". This pure resin is the final unprocessed natural product that has been in use by local people for.....(for ever?).

The modern commercial collectors have devised a method to have more product from a tree. But the method is destructive and eliminates the trees future production. Fortunately the species grows a replacement fast, so the method is sustainable (but still destructive).
The commercial process is to cut the entire tree into little pieces, put wood, limbs and leaves into a pot of water and boil it down until the consistency is like the natural sap. This way they can get 50 gallons of processed resin from a tree, one time, as opposed to 1/2 liter per year. Very destructive process that leads to the older collectors returning to their heritage trees to find that someone has cut them down.

Why does the process matter for use on plants? Because the heat of boiling alters the natural product. And most of the commercial supplies have alcohol added to stabilize the solution. The alcohol is needed to keep the boiled (dead) liquid from spoiling.
The natural pure unheated resin contains living microbes and goes through a natural fermentation process and creates it's own alcohol that stabilizes the resin.... much the same as yogurt. The natural pure Dragon's Blood may very well contain lactic bacteria which would now classify it as a natural Probiotic.

Whatever part of the Dragon's Blood that works on the leaf problems is drastically reduced (or eliminated) in the commercial process. The commercial product still has a positive effect but much less so than the pure natural liquid.
:wink:

Thanks for the explanation. It would be interesting to compare against the pure resin. There is no doubt in my mind that the pure resin works.

Thanks for the explanation. It would be interesting to compare against the pure resin. There is no doubt in my mind that the pure resin works.

I did the comparison. In the beginning I was interested in finding a lower cost supply. I tried several commercial labels and they did not give the same result. (no science just my observation)
They still had positive effect but noticeably less than the pure local supplies. For me the price difference was negated by the improved results of the more expensive local resin.
Then when I learned that the commercial suppliers were stealing whole trees from the traditional Nativo collectors all my personal doubts were eliminated.

But the real important difference to orchid collectors is the negative alteration of the liquid by heat and added alcohol. One Nativo Shaman told me the excessive boiling disables the doctor Spirit of the plant and the alcohol keeps it from ever returning sober. (Natives have a simple uncomplicated view) :D

Brilliant Lance, and like Eric, I thankyou for the full explanation. One never stops learning. When I get some rot ( inevitable ) I will try this and let you know if it's any good.

Ed

Thanks to all for the informative replies.

Only the Paph sukhakulii (3rd image) looks like it will survive. The Phaph bellatulum (middle image) has hung on after I cut off the rot but has gone down hill over winter with more rot forming. The first plant had the rot in the crown so it was disposed of.

The good news is that I seem to have contained the spread to other plants (I hope). I've been spraying regularly with diluted Benzalkonium chloride (sold as pool algaecide) alternating with a sulpher-based fungicide. I have yet to see Physan or Dragon's Blood available locally (Australia).

At a recent orchid fair I did get to chat briefly with Nick Zurcher of Nicky's Slippers. He suggested spraying regularly with a copper-based fungicide was the way. So I will try that this coming summer.

I have seen there is a organic fungicide, EcoCarb, used in the here in the wine industry. I like the idea of using something less dangerous (to me) if possible. It's a food grade Potassium Bicarbonate which, according to the spiel, when applied to the foliage, changes the pH on the surface creating a more alkaline environment. The change in pH will disrupt the cellular processes of germinating fungal spores by inhibiting any growth and preventing potential spreading. I wonder if that's going to upset the pH in potting media or maybe it will work well?

I'm pretty sure this is Colleotrichum gleosporioides. It is very common and attacks all kinds of plants. It's fungal not bacterial. I get it from time to time. It can kill plants!
Soak the plants in Zaleton (Bunnings) to stop it and Mancozeb (ebay) to prevent it.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...ved=0ahUKEwjd64Tuw73OAhXHVZQKHdjCB4YQ_AUIBigB

Wow, thanks for that. It is a nasty one that's for sure. In my case it seems only to affect Paphs as I have Sarcochilus and Zygopetulums growing on the same shelf.

Here's the same **** on my kovachii. I JUMPED on it as soon as I spotted it and no more problems since.
I used Zaleton and cinnamon and Mancozeb for good measure. (separately)

Latest posts

Back