Bromeliad action

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I have a handful of interesting bromeliads that have been blooming.

Tillandsia cyanea with big "blue flowers"

Neoregelia smithii with little blue flowers

Orthphyton gurkeni (need to check spelling) put up this big spike that makes these green clumps of green bracts that pop out little white flowers.

And when it was mostly done with little white flowers produced pups on the ends of the clumps of bracts

It has a new big basal growth too, but I don't know how those pups on the spike are supposed to get into soil or otherwise detach from the spike.:confused:

LOVE the cyanea. I had a bunch of them; but, they died it the freeze. I miss 'em. That one with the "pups" is cool. I really like the look of the pups more than the flowering heads.

Sparkling colors and true blues. There's nothing to planting
the pups. Just stick them in a little soil if you see roots
developing. In my limited experience, they'll grow just
about anywhere. I have an Haworthia (Pearly Dots) that
you need to add to your oddities collection.

I love tillan but I always killed them as a kid. lol
The second one is very interesting!
Nature is full of surprises.

Kind of funny along those lines Happy

I've never purchased any bromeliads and they've all been gifted to me over the years.

They used to die after about a year or so when they got the old MSU fert program and they subsequently never took up a lot of space :eek:, but going to low K they grow like crazy!

I love broms! I know it's common, but it's hard to beat Tillandsia cyanea. The bright pink showy bracts are fantastic enough that the purple, fragrant flowers are just the icing on the cake! I love the wonderful clove fragrance.

Do you grow the Orthophytum like a succulent? If I recall, UNCC grows these in the succulent houses.

I like neos, but a lot of them are too big or too stoloniferous to be practical on my light stands.

Do you also grow any Cryptanthus? I know they don't have the most exciting flowers, but the foliage of some species are as brightly colored as you can get (i.e. Cryptanthus Elaine).

I love broms! I know it's common, but it's hard to beat Tillandsia cyanea. The bright pink showy bracts are fantastic enough that the purple, fragrant flowers are just the icing on the cake! I love the wonderful clove fragrance.

Do you grow the Orthophytum like a succulent? If I recall, UNCC grows these in the succulent houses.

I like neos, but a lot of them are too big or too stoloniferous to be practical on my light stands.

Do you also grow any Cryptanthus? I know they don't have the most exciting flowers, but the foliage of some species are as brightly colored as you can get (i.e. Cryptanthus Elaine).

I'd say I grow the Orthophytum like a Vanda :eek: There's a little bit of moss and gravel in the pot which hangs right next to the GH glass next to my handful of big Vandas and Paraphalaes . Yes these grow like crazy and start looking like chandeliers. I have a Neo paucifolium which is turning into quite the candelabra!

No Cryptanthus (actually I'll need to look them up to know what they are).

Latest posts

Back