Quantcast

Bringing flasks into NZ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Martina F

Reaction score
Hi all
This is not technically a Slipper Orchid related question but this is the site where I have found the information closest to what I am looking for so far.
I am wanting to bring in a flask or two of Ludisia Discolor with me when I return home to NZ. This orchid is listed as allowed in NZ according to the MPI website, but the only information I can find other than this all relates to 'Nursery stock' and involves quarantine periods and large sums of money for inspections, tests and holding times (and someone a lot smarter than me to figure it all out).
Surely it is simpler than that to bring in small quantities of plants that are in sterile containers? Does anyone know what exactly the rules are for bringing in flasks in your luggage? Is it possible? What is involved?

Any help much appreciated!

kiwi

Reaction score
I do it all the time. As long as you have a phyto sanitary certificate from the country you are bringing them from you will be fine. You can carry them onto the plane as hand luggage

Martina F

Reaction score
Thanks for that, very good to know. Have you ever had any sent into the country?

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Funny that you'd need a phytosanitary certificate for something in-flask.

kiwi

Reaction score
Thanks for that, very good to know. Have you ever had any sent into the country?
Most of my flasks are sent to me from Taiwan, USA, Japan etc. Again as long as you have the phytosanitary certficate you are fine.