Breeding Alba Slippers?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cyp8472

I have a paph. Delenatii alba in bud and was considering selfing it to get alba seeds back but thought what would happen if I mixed it with a regular Delenatii? If the alba was the pod parent would it matter? I have a cyp. reginae alba that is relatively weak and thought I could cross it with some stronger regular cyp. reginaes and maybe gets some stronger albas back. Or would I have to wait for the third generation like medallion genetics state if I understand them correctly.

I have a paph. Delenatii alba in bud and was considering selfing it to get alba seeds back but thought what would happen if I mixed it with a regular Delenatii? If the alba was the pod parent would it matter? I have a cyp. reginae alba that is relatively weak and thought I could cross it with some stronger regular cyp. reginaes and maybe gets some stronger albas back. Or would I have to wait for the third generation like medallion genetics state if I understand them correctly.

I'm pretty sure most examples of albinism in Paphs (the Parvis, at least) follow fairly straightforward recessive/dominant Mendelian genetics. Assuming that your normal colored delenetii is homozygous for the normal color allele, then all the offspring would be heterozygous for the albinism allele. Essentially, they will all look like normal delenatiis but carry the albinism allele. Thus, you could cross two of those offspring and expect 25% albums, 25% homozygous normal looking, and %50 heterozygous normal looking. The album being the pod parent would not matter.

The same explanation would probably fit your C. reginae album question, too.

Latest posts

Back