Brassia Rex

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

This is a plant that I got about a year ago, mostly because I like the smell, although the blooms are kinda cool looking too. After I bought it and displayed it in the living room, I sorta forgot about it, and it just lived in there, where it didn't get enough light. So, finally, a few months ago, I moved it back in with my other plants, and it rewarded me very quickly with these blooms.

brassia-rex-2.jpg

Now, I've moved it back to the living room.

- Matt

Heather said:
These are really neat plants. They are always talking at my society meetings about how hard it is when breeding Brassia with other genera to have the plants flower straight like that.

Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good Brassia by breeding it with another genus? :confused:

SlipperFan said:
One word: color.
I like Brassia x Ada for that reason.

Your plant is beautiful, Matt.

You got me on that one. I still think of Ada as Brassia section glumacea though, damn taxonomists always changing things.

By the way Matt, Rex 'Sakata' is actually AM/AOS, not HCC.

By the way Matt, Rex 'Sakata' is actually AM/AOS, not HCC.

Ah, thanks... guess I'd better update my records. I don't really care with these non-slippers anyway :)

Matt

Tony said:
You got me on that one. I still think of Ada as Brassia section glumacea though, damn taxonomists always changing things.

Ada and Brassia have distinct floralistic and vegetative differences... that is why both genera remain segregated. I believe that there may also be DNA analysis to back up the segregation...

This can be compared to the recent segregation of a few well known Cattleya species into the new genus; Guarianthe. The species, Guar. aurantiaca, Guar. bowriginana, Guar. skinneri, Guar. patinii, and natural hybrid Guar. x guatamalensis, were all segregated from Cattleya in 2003 by Robert Dressler and Wes Higgins. Guarianthe aurantiaca (Cattleya aurantiaca) is the most obvious of these species for clearly and distinctively not being the same as a Cattleya floralistically. I am almost sure that DNA analysis has further proven and determined the genus Guarianthe is in fact distinct from its closely allied genus Cattleya... :)

-Pat

Mahon said:
Ada and Brassia have distinct floralistic and vegetative differences... that is why both genera remain segregated. I believe that there may also be DNA analysis to back up the segregation...

They look like little Brassias to me. :D

Latest posts

Back