Brassia longississima

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice these are one of my favourite groups in the oncid alliance.
Bet it smells amazing.
I dont have this species,but donhave one of the hybrids that its a parent off.

Very nice these are one of my favourite groups in the oncid alliance.
Bet it smells amazing.
I dont have this species,but donhave one of the hybrids that its a parent off.

Yes, it does have a strong fragrance.

If I was only going to grow one Brassia it would be one from this group (arcuigera). The flowers are enormous and the plant is so easy to grow.

I had one of these once and it flowered with 1 spike from 50 bulbs once in 15 years. It's ash now...

Brassia's can be like that. My parents have this monster plant which I can't recall ever being in flower. My Brassia verrucosa use to flower beautifully every year. In 2012 it looked like this. I have barely had a flower since. This year I got two tiny spikes on a much bigger plant (more than 50 growths). Maybe it doesn't like the new greenhouse. It hasn't been a problem with the longississima though.

Another great plants mine are not this size yet. I find brassia can be very fical I never use to have a plant flower untill I moved back to the UK. Have a few growing very well and flowering very happily, but I have a few that have yet to flower aand are flowering size, sometimes it's just getting them to flower for the first time and then they flower every year afterwards.

Stunning specimen, David! :clap::clap::clap: I remember your previous post on this species comparing the flower size (when it had just the one spike) with your verrucosa specimen shown above. Is it up for CCE/CCM consideration?

Thanks. That was about 7 years ago. I don't think it would be up to a cultural award standard yet. This group does multiply freely so you would need a lot of spikes for it to be out of the ordinary. But it is on its way.

This year it had 8 spikes. Unfortunately they didn't synchronise well. As the last few spikes were opening the first few were dying.

Here is that photo that gives a good perspective of how big the flowers of longississima are.

brassiacomparered.jpg

Latest posts

Back