brassavola nodosa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this brassavola nodosa from Jim Rice not long before he passed away. He used to say that certain mexican orchids made it across the border in a burlap bag; I guess that that's better than the drugs that are going across now with people getting shot :eek: . I don't think I've ever been able to detect a fragrance from this nodosa which is disappointing, but then again I've had four flowers from one spike, and it survives and flowers despite getting very dry! It's made to survive dry conditions, and believe it can grow on the sides of cactuses or succulent plants where it likely catches early morning dew. It was potted in some loose chc's with other things mixed in, but it was falling out of that pot and starting to root itself into a pot with s/h pellets, so I think I'll put it into a shallow pot with some s/h media.

bnodosa909a.JPG

bnodosa909b.JPG

bnodosa909c.JPG

bnodosa909d.JPG

neat flower
hmmm...
you put it into a dark room that gets absolutely no light and still no scent?

yep, either when it's in my plant stand there might be a faint amount of light from street lights, or right now it's in my bedroom and again very faint streetlights might be there but basically pretty dark. at some other time I may have detected some very faint fragrance, but this time I don't smell anything at all. could be this time that it's pretty dry, so no extra water for making scents

I just repotted it into three aircone pots taped together, filled with large and small diatomite. It's soaking in the sink right now... it's growing in a straight line, mostly, so if it branches this way or that, I'll just hook another pot on the side. I don't have room to hang baskets...

interesting to note that last night right when it got dark, I realized that my phal venosa was putting out a stronger wave of fragrance. at that time and right after the nodosa didn't have any fragrance I could detect from a few feet away and I had been letting it sit in water

Last edited:
Yes, I think it is trying to escape on you! Beautiful little markings on the inside of the lip.

Wow! I never thought of putting pots together like that! I'll have to figure out something like this for my xerophyticum.

Latest posts

Back