Brassavola nodosa ‘Mas Mejor’ am/aos bud

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at Littlebrook Orchids in Lancaster pa last month, and saw a huge specimen brassavola nodosa in bloom and was inspired to purchase one in bud. They had compact ones and ‘big’ ones and though I usually liked compact versions, I bought the larger because some of them were in tiny bud. There were two other growths/buds but with relocating and being under a bright cfl, just the one bud made it to flowering

Attachments

• 546E90EF-E962-4E37-8A61-66B1AC4B553A.jpeg
    546E90EF-E962-4E37-8A61-66B1AC4B553A.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 14
  • C945C3A8-407C-48C2-85BF-ADAFA29B933A.jpeg
    C945C3A8-407C-48C2-85BF-ADAFA29B933A.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 13
It hasn’t opened up completely yet, I ‘helped’ unstick some petal tips

When I was at littlebrook, I was surprised at the difference in the leaf structure of the smaller nodosas and this one. These leaves are very flat; the others, and all that I’d seen before all have cylindrical pencil stem leaves with a little crease. They almost seem like they shouldn’t be the same species

Good looking roots Charles! Don’t be afraid to give it a lot of light. My favorite part about these is how their scent comes out in the dark. It’s quite striking.

When I was at littlebrook, I was surprised at the difference in the leaf structure of the smaller nodosas and this one. These leaves are very flat; the others, and all that I’d seen before all have cylindrical pencil stem leaves with a little crease. They almost seem like they shouldn’t be the same species

That was the first thing that struck me when I looked at your photos, that the leaves didn't look like the nodosas that I'm used to seeing. My image of nodosa sounds more like how you describe the smaller ones. Love the fragrance of these, though.

Back