Brachypetalum paphs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papheteer

Reaction score
Why is it that not many people grow brachys? At the recently concluded Toronto orchid show, there were no brachys on display. And there were only 2 bellatulums for sale that obviously went home with me!
Is it because people find the mostly white flowers boring?

There are plenty in the US. Both pure Brachys and the hybrids with non-Brachys.

You can order with Ten Shin when they come to your local show in the future. Or I believe Orchid Inn does international shipping although the minimum purchase is quite a bit. Not sure the same is applied to Canadian orders.

Why is it that not many people grow brachys? At the recently concluded Toronto orchid show, there were no brachys on display. And there were only 2 bellatulums for sale that obviously went home with me!
Is it because people find the mostly white flowers boring?
I absolutely love them. I don’t find them particularly difficult in my windows and I don’t know why so many seem to struggle. Could it be the trouble with original jungle plants? Their leaves are just so stunning I honestly never get impatient for flowers. Mites and mealies do be lovin’ their nooks and crannies though. Lord.

Tony-
I would think they would do great for you with your mutlies since they like it warm, too. Only bellatulum will like it cooler in the winter months. Perhaps, change the potting mix. I know you use rockwool x perlite so things stay moist yet airy, but I suggest more open mix and less water retentive media for the brachys in your greenhouse?
Well, I guess it's too late since you got yourself loaded with all the mutli flasks and seedlings now. 😂

Brachys are my favs, but agree they are little divas. Adding humidity trays to my arsenal has helped me dodge really massive humidity swings, which I think has helped with longevity. I have quite a few in low bud now.

💯! what's your secret to keeping the leaves, nooks and crannies clean?
Of pests you mean? I have never had to deal with any I guess. I am super careful when introducing new plants. When I see signs of minor mites problem I just spray all the plants with water mixed with a few drops of soap. I do that for a couple weeks and they’re gone. Some people have problems with spots and rots when they wet brachy leaves. But mine don’t mind. In fact I think they like it. I grow indoors and my humidity is super low especially in the winter. Now it’s about 30%

Same here. No bugs on brachys and I like it that way. 😁
I pour water all over my Brachys since the leaves are all too tightly packed in. That’s the only way. Never had spots or rotting issues. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Same here. No bugs on brachys and I like it that way. 😁
I pour water all over my Brachys since the leaves are all too tightly packed in. That’s the only way. Never had spots or rotting issues. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Why do you think a lot of people have trouble with them? (Based on the responses here and on fb) Temperature too cold? Esp in a greenhouse?

Latest posts

Back