Brachy flask growing questions

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just recently received a brachy flask. When deflasking into compots I normally grow them in straight sphagnum moss but knowing that brachys don't like to keep their feet wet decided to use bark. Rexius small bark to be exact, combined with charcoal and sponge rock. I have a few other compots of paphs. also growing in this mix. My question is, should I be watering this compot less because they are brachys or the same as the parvy and species compots?

I have grown three brachy flasks all in barks mix with good results. To start, I treat them the same as other compots for the first few months. Then I pull back on watering once they start growing. One thing to consider is that I grow in the house and under lights. My humidity is 60-65%. The air movement is pretty steady, somethings dry quickly. The extra water does not phase them in my growing area.

Thanks to the couple of people who have responded to my question. These have just been deflasked so are currently still covered with a clear dome, thus high humidity. Once I take off the top then that will be the real test. However the size of the seedlings are very nice and with good roots system. They all stayed together once the agar was washed off. I'm sure there is no where near the number of seedlings that is shown in some of the other posts. Yet, very happy with the quality of the flask.

Back