Botanical Paintings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cdub

I received a book on botanical watercolor painting as a gift over the winter and while I think learning to paint from a freakin' book is useless, it inspired me to start experimenting. Here are my first two full attemps. I painted two of my orchids because they were in bloom but I would love to get into painting other botanicals, especially wildflowers. It's been difficult lately to find time to sit down and start another one.
Painting
orchidpainting6rn.jpg

Actual plant - Paph supersuk x raisin pie
paphhybrid5iv.jpg

Painting
phalpainting0uw.jpg

phalpainting29dj.jpg

Actual plant - Phal Brother Sara Gold
phalbrothersaragold2hy.jpg

Don't ask about the yellow on the Phal leaves. I think I was going for a lighting effect or something, and it turned out looking like it's got crown rot or something, ah well.

Not bad for a first attempt. Keep studying -- looking at the flowers, and at what you like in other people's artwork. (She says from years of experience as a teacher of sculpture, painting, photography and computer graphics...)

It's Very nice.:)
I'm also studying to Botanical illustration, But in Pen & Ink technique.

This my first BI.
1124032908.jpg

I drawn from the picture in the slipper orchids of Vietnam.

In end of July, I'm in the
International Conference, Exhibition and Illustration Workshop on
“Botanical Illustration for Tropical Plants”
31 July - 31 August 2006

Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden
Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment
Chiang Mai, THAILAND

http://www.qsbg.org/index48.asp
http://www.geocities.com/qsbg_enroll/

I'm a volunteer staff of this conference

Pan

You've obviously got the eye for it, and no book can teach that.

From experience, the only advice I can give with watercolors is to use masking fluid(the good stuff) and start with your lightest colors first and slowly darken from there. The only way to learn is from trial and error, and I resent classes on how to create like someone else...but that's just me.

I haven't touched a pen or brush in nearly a year, and only create when inspired. I was offered a job to do botanical illustrations, but to be forced to do so would result in disappointment so I declined. I just can't do my best work at anything when forced to do so, and that really sums me up as a whole.

Jon
________
Chang'an ford mazda engine specifications

Last edited:
Jon in SW Ohio said:
The only way to learn is from trial and error, and I resent classes on how to create like someone else...but that's just me.Jon

Me, too. I've seen too many student's who mimic their instructor's style. As a teacher, I avoided that like the plague. However, encouraging students to look at lots of other people's work helps clarify what one likes and doesn't like, helps hone a critical eye, and stimilates ideas. One doesn't create in a vacuum. The really successful orchid hybridizers know what has gone on before, why not artists?

Pan, you are soooo lucky be able to attend that illustration workshop. I look forward to more line drawings!

Heather said:
Nice job!
Keep at it....you need more paphs to paint though...and maybe a Phrag or two. :evil:

I'm workin' on it Heather, but the SO loves the Phals

Latest posts

Back