Botanic Prints

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

I spent a little over an hour yesterday morning down at the Helen Fowler Library of the Denver Botanic Gardens. They have a really great general botanic library, but they also have a special collection rare and antique books, called the Waring Collection, which is not open to the public, but which they open during off hours to people who make special arrangements :)

Anyway, yesterday, I took a look through Eleven volumes of Warner's "The Orchid Album", and took photos of all of the slipper species plates. If I had had more time, I would have done everything! I also glanced through one volume of Lindenia, but didn't take any pictures.

This time, I had to sign an agreement about using the photos on my website, so I don't know if they will make it up any time soon. But I thought I'd post a couple of the photos here for those of you who are interested in this sort of thing, as a preview. I believe that I took 30 photos or so. I took a few photos of hybrids, too ...

elliottianum.jpg

fairrieanum.jpg

insigne-albo-marginatum.jpg

lowii.jpg

parishii.jpg

stonei-peloric.jpg

And some Phrags...

wallisii.jpg

calurum.jpg

Obviously, I haven't corrected all of these for brightness/contrast and color balance yet... I hope to have all of them edited for the web within the next few days.

Next time I go down, I'm going to take a look at Lewis Castle's "Orchids: Their Structure, History and Culute", and (my personal favorite title of the lot) "On the Various Contrivances by which British and Foreign Orchids are Fertilized by Insects" by Charles Darwin.

- Matt

Thanks for sharing those, Matt. I really love old botanical prints and natural history engravings in general. I occasionally see orchid prints for sale on ebay and am tempted but feel I don't know enough about them to bid. For now I settle for occasionally printing out a nice scan from the web to decorate my office or the "naturalist's study" in my home.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, those look pretty good for being done with a camera!

I can't wait till the next show in New York. It's probably gonna be right after tax season. Well hopefully or else I won't be able to go :(

It's kind of funny but I haven't filed my taxes for 2005 yet! Hopefully I wont be asking anyone to take care of my plants and animals while I'm in the hoosegow> :drool:

Thanks for sharing Matt.
Always look forward to a picture of two to
brighten a cold dreary day

Back