Bonsai Rock

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a clay orchid jug that I keep filled with water. Right now, it just has moss covering it. I used to have masdevallia's tied to it, also pleurothallis. All gone, but the moss is so extensive, that I'll try something again. Lepanthes would probably be too difficult...but its the right size.

What is a clay orchid jug? Could you post pics of it?

There are a couple of Bonsai stores in Chinatown but the parking is so strict that instead of issuing tickets they just tie a truck to each end and rip your car in half! :eek:
BTW, if anyone needs N-scale figures I have a ton of them.

The next step is to get some micro-miniature Sinningias (Sinningia pusila...regluar pink and alba) and plant a few in strategic places on the rock. They are like teeny, tiny, micro-miniature Gloxinias. They grow from a very tiny tuber, not any larger than this letter "O". In fact, those big honkin' Florist Gloxinias are actually Sinningias! The micro-miniature ones are so tiny, they'd be comforatable if planted in the metal end of a pencil that has lost its eraser! They grow a rosette of beautiful leaves, like an African Violet and produce beautiful little pink and white flowers on delicate, thin stems. They also bloom easily and often. They are a perfect little plant that is in proportion for use on this "landscape". They'll help to create the illusion of wildflowers growing in the "grass". After I find some of these plants and get them planted, I'll post update photos; but, it will be down the road.

Seeds of micro-miniature Sinningia pusilla and Sinningia muscicola are almost always available on eBay. Plants or tubers too, but seeds would be the easiest and cheapest way to get a few established among the moss, and look the most natural. I think it would be a lovely addition to your landscape.

Sorry I don't have a pic....it's a clay pot specifically designed for growing small, humidity loving orchids. You keep it filled with water, which "sweats" out of the clay. There are lots of little clay eyes that you can use to tie fishing line to to mount orchids. The idea is that moss grows over the clay, and the orchid can grow through the moss. I've had luck with Pleurothallis and Masdevallia in the past...right now its just growing moss. I can't remember the name of the guy who made the pot...his first name is Alex, I think. He used to have little contests, many years ago.....got the answer right, he sent you the pot for free, I have another one, conventional style, with slashes in the side. it's too beautiful for me to plant anything in it.

Back