Bonsai flowering quince

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, very nice. My flowering quinces are youngsters, I have shown them this picture to inspire them.

I had to check your profile, saw that you are in Australia, where its middle-late winter. That is when quinces would normally bloom. How tall is your plant, it looks like it is about 10 inches, maybe a little more? The flowers of your plant seem large, do you know the cultivar. I don't think it is "Chojubai" or "Hime", but I could be wrong. What is the cultivar?

The color of your pot contrasts nicely with the flowers, the octagonal shape is nice also. Good on its own as a bonsai or it would make an excellent shitakusa in a display with a much larger tree.

Thanks for posting. Post more of your bonsai when you have time, quite a few of us enjoy seeing them, and some of us (like myself) do bonsai also in addition to orchids.

Wow, very nice. My flowering quinces are youngsters, I have shown them this picture to inspire them.

I had to check your profile, saw that you are in Australia, where its middle-late winter. That is when quinces would normally bloom. How tall is your plant, it looks like it is about 10 inches, maybe a little more? The flowers of your plant seem large, do you know the cultivar. I don't think it is "Chojubai" or "Hime", but I could be wrong. What is the cultivar?

The color of your pot contrasts nicely with the flowers, the octagonal shape is nice also. Good on its own as a bonsai or it would make an excellent shitakusa in a display with a much larger tree.

Thanks for posting. Post more of your bonsai when you have time, quite a few of us enjoy seeing them, and some of us (like myself) do bonsai also in addition to orchids.

Thanks all.
Leo,
I love the quinces too. I think this cultivar is Christmas Cheer but I could be wrong. Its a very old cultivar anyway. This one is about 9'' tall. I also have a group planting of Chojubai. (probably my favorite) The flower is only half the size of this. And there is another on the bench pink/white which I'll post when its open.
The quickest way of obtaining a good sized one is to dig one out of the garden and prune the top and the roots right down to a couple of inches and pot it up.
I would be happy to post more bonsai pics. I have many:evil:. Its another passion of mine as well.:)
Mike.

Ok, here is a cotoneaster raft syle. About 8 inches high

Juniperus procumbens nana. I dug this from the garden many many years ago and I've been refining it ever since. The pic is a bit squashed. you have to imagine it 10% wider.

Trident maple forest. This is 10 or 12 years old taken last summer. It has since been rearranged.

And this is a kurume Azalea ''Amoena''. Its covered in purpleish flowers in spring. Enjoy!

yeah come on!!!!! Do you grow/create them all like this one, or do you buy too? Jean

No I've never bought any. 1- they're too pricey (for a good one) and 2- the quality of commercial bonsai is quite low here because importing from Japan is out of the question. (although its getting better)

Well, congratulations then Mike!!!! all of these ones look well balanced ; you hasve a very good hand with them!!!! I like the azalea! How large is it?

(are you on facebook?) Jean

Bonsai are so serene and calming to see and imagine little
scenes. I used to do bonsai and then killed a very expensive Okinawa Holly and lost heart after that. Your
bonsai are lovely and I'd enjoy seeing them anytime you'd care to post a photo.

Well, congratulations then Mike!!!! all of these ones look well balanced ; you hasve a very good hand with them!!!! I like the azalea! How large is it?

(are you on facebook?) Jean

Thanks Jean. The Azalea is around 12 inches and no!..no facebook. I spend too much time looking at this damn screen as is!:)

Back