Board field trip to Ecuador/Peru 2007

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, this sounds so great. Can someone snuggle me in their suitcase and snuggle me back to the US? I'm fairly short and don't take up much space (about 5'3"). Please? Pretty please?

Wogga said:
I'm definitely interested in checking out the frogs. And, believe it or not, my main reason (orchidwise) is to see the wild pleurothallids and see if i can conjure up any new culture ideas, although i would be VERY interested to see phrag lindenii ensitu!!

I would like to get a nice feel for the wild fauna as well, birds, insects, spiders, primates (if they have any?). The ruins sound like a good itme too.

Im kind of an allround sightseer - i hope this can be coincided with others' desires - the idea of doing one big group trip then split off and meet back up sounds pretty good.
ya another frog person!!! i will post some pics of frogs that are in that region later today

I am hesitant to post because I am not sure I can go, but, if I were to go, I would be most interested in:

Orchids
Inca Ruins
Nature in general
Interesting food
Ecuagenera
The Ecuagenera school...

If we were to go, I think coming up with a group organized donation to the school would really be an excellent thing... Here is a link about it....
http://parksideorchids.com/liceo nuevo mundo.htm

I know for sure they are interested in children's books for their library. There aren't really a lot of libraries in Ecuador. From what I understood from Jean, this was a foreign concept to the school - starting a library. They had some books but didn't know how to handle it so had them stored away out of use. Now, after she went in and helped them organize the place, they are finding that they have to arrange specific time for each class to visit the library because the kids enjoy it so much. Maybe everyone could bring a favorite kids book or something? I don't know....it was one part of Jean's talk about Ecuador that really left me with a warm, fuzzy feeling, and I would like to see our forum help out if possible. Whether we go or not, kind of a neat thing...

I think there is also an orchid "park" fairly close to Ecuagenera (Kyle?) where they have collected wild plants and established them on the property? I will try to corrall Jean on Saturday if she is around.

John....where are those business cards? Are we go soon, or should I use what I made for the interim?

The last time I got an email from Jean was a month or more ago. I think she still has a bunch of books to send to Ecuagenera. I agree collecting a handful of books would really be appreciated. Jean did a fantastic job on the library. Ecuadorians just didn't get the concept of borrowing the books. they don't have a lot of respect for property. Cultural I guess. The books weren't aloud to leave the library. Maybe in the future, but they wern't ready for the responsibility yet.

Jean was probably talking about the el puhuma orchid reserve that she worked at a couple of years back. Its a neat place with a few trails and lots of waterfalls. My only complent is that they used bright orange thread to fasten the plants to the trees, instead of fishing line. Its not very close to Ecuagenera, its up north between Quito and Mindo. The have a website, google it.

Ecuagenera has their reserves where they plant some of the seedlings they have artifically propagated. They have 3 reserves. Somehow, I went all winter without ever going to the reserves. They are close ecuagenera on the way to the other greenhouse.

Kyle

...don't forget how dangerous it is right now (and kinda has been) in Ecuador... Cal Dodson has a home in Manabi, and he loves it there... almost any where else, you are either facing unfriendlies, disease and infections, cholera, or land mines, scattered among the borders of Ecuador and Peru... if interested in Ecuador, I would say ask Pepe or Magali at Ecuagenera, because they have the most tourist experience...

I will post a new thread about an alternative place, much safer, and more organized country... most likely no one would be interested, seeing all the persistence in an EC trip...

-Pat

Mahon said:
...don't forget how dangerous it is right now (and kinda has been) in Ecuador

I must have forgoten. Please remind me. Seriously.

I remember the country being very safe and the locals be exceptionally friendly and curious. I never once felt my personal safety being compromised wither on my one in a group, day or night.

Mahon said:
if interested in Ecuador, I would say ask Pepe or Magali at Ecuagenera, because they have the most tourist experience
-Pat

I agree, they (or any other knowledgable guide) are essential to insuring the trip goes smoothly. Not all orchids are on the side of the road or on public land. Ecuagenera knows where the plants are and has permission to be on peoples land.

Kyle

Kyle said:
I must have forgoten. Please remind me. Seriously.

I remember the country being very safe and the locals be exceptionally friendly and curious. I never once felt my personal safety being compromised wither on my one in a group, day or night.

Yeah, we actually know several people who have gone on just this trip, to just this place, several times over the last couple years. I've never heard one word from them about experiencing any trouble. Glen did say that in Peru, traveling with a group was a good idea but that's sort of the whole point of this anyway....

Pat - have you been to the region?

For what it's worth, my brother's girlfriend spent an entire semester in Ecuador without a single problem. In addition, this is a slipper board. I'd want to see slippers.

Edit: Mahon, my above post probably sounds a bit rude. I didn't intend that. I'm just saying that a core part of the trip would be viewing Phragmipedium in-situ. Your proposed trip sounds great and it is certainly something that I would want to do someday, but I think the forum members demand slippers.

It is dangerous anywhere you go. Don't forget, M, it's hurricane season... but oh wait, you'll probably be okay, because you're a white guy. Seriously, I would worry about staying in Florida right now more than I would worry about people going to Ecuador.

Mahon said:
...and John, happy birthday! Your bull s**t meter is out of whack. Please re-check it and make sure it isn't pointing at the owner of the meter...

Pat, let me teach you something since you seem to be educated, but lack a lot of common sense.

There are people on this forum who can discredit false information. Just a cautionary word of advice, when you name drop or speak in detail about scientific concerns, don't make anything up. I can promise you embarassment will follow.

When you contend that one country is dangerous that you have never been to, while spouting about a "safer" location you spent all of two hours in, it makes you look like an a$$hole.

I think you can figure this out, but let's just lay the cards on the table so there is no question about it. I don't like you. Don't rattle my cage.

Mahon said:
...and no, I am not worried about Hurricanes being in FL... a well built house will sustain the hurricane winds... it should've been mandatory before to build with concrete... roofs are a different story... poor designing on contractors part...

-PM
It's not always the wind that you have to worry about. Think tidal surges and floods.

Listen here, Mahon, you have no idea what you're talking about. First off, no one calls it Rhodesia anymore--it's offensive, and if you knew the history you would know why.

Secondly, if you knew anything about other countries, you wouldn't make such blanketed and ignorant statements.

And the next time you feel like making opinionated statements, BACK it up with more than just general statements. Yes, there are murders going on all over the world, but what are you saying that we don't already know?

You need to take your own advice, and "listen to what people tell you, sometimes they are right, sometimes they are full of 'excrement' (couldn't think of any other term, lol), but just listen, open up your ears, it will help you either learn something."

Mahon, in vietnamese, no diacriticial marks: dong ma may.

May mat vit, do ngu, di an cut di.

Last edited:
Back