Board field trip to Ecuador/Peru 2007

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PHRAG

Ok, so I have decided to go to Ecuador and possibly Peru in January of 2007. The invitation is open to everyone from the board that wants to go. The more the merrier. This is the thread for discussion of these two countries, and tips on traveling there. I am sure this thread is going to get pretty long over the next few months. So let's start planning!

I'll be on winter break most of January. However, I'm going to be realistic here and say that there's a very, very, very slim chance that I'd be able to go. However, planning is still really fun, so I'm still going to camp out in this thread.

Also, since this is a field trip, who is going to chaperone and make sure there isn't any making out going on in the back of the bus?

I've got a couple grand in my pocket and a weeks paid vacation after Aug. 15th...get it finalized and I'm there.

I can't be held responsible for my actions while traveling to and from and during the trip though...especially since I will only drink beer to avoid Montezuma's revenge.

Jon
________
DRUGTEST

Last edited:
Oh, I wish I could come... but not being a citizen of any country, I cannot get a hold of a passport. The only way for me to go and come back (I'm a permanent legal resident) is to get permission for rentry and to call the host country up first. Since this administration is a little iffy, I'd rather not risk it, and stay here until I can get my citizenship.

After that, let's all go to Vietnam. We'll go look at Parvis! I'll translate. :D

nyorchids said:
wow i want to go i can see frogs while you wierdos look at orchids!

:rollhappy:

Maybe next field trip, we can do Borneo and look at multifloral paphs :clap:

Okay,
I did a couple quick airfare checks and it looks as though (at least now) airfare would be somewhere between $600-$1000. Those of us on the east coast are on the lower end of that spectrum. I checked Boston, Manchester ($400 more than Boston!), Cincinatti, Phoenix, San Francisco, and NYC just to get an idea.

Regarding other info, I'm sure Kyle can help out with ideas and planning (where to go, stay, etc.) I can also talk to Jean Stephanic about logistics. (She's an NHOS member who was down there last spring when Kyle was there. She gave a talk on it a few months back. Of course, I don't think I took notes or anything.)

There may be some info on Parkside's website also, and Ecuagenera maybe?

Hi,
I think a group trip would be fantastic.

First for flights, I cannot say enough good things about continental. Definatly pay extra to fly with them. They have a direct flight from Newark to Guayaquil. The airline is friendly and I never had any problems with them.

Now Delta on the other hand, I can't express enough my disatisfaction with Delta Airlines. Its no wonder that they are going bankrupt. They have no direct flight to Ecuador. When I came back from Ecuador, I had to go Guayquil - Bogata - Atlanta - cleavland - Toronto. It sucked. And I can't say enough bad things about their hub in Atlanta. The dirtiest airport I have ever been to filled with the rudest employees I ever delt with. Plus if you are planning on bringing plants back, the peopel in Atlanta were obnoxious about examining the plants dispite me continuing to tell them they wern't for the US. I give the company 12 months befroe they are out of business.

Sorry for the rant. But if your on the east coast and you want to go to Ecuador, fly continental.

I'm a big fan of the Orchid tours that Ecuagenera puts on. I would recommed them. It possible to do your own thing, but Ecuagenera takes a lot of the guess work out of it, plus they know where to go. I saw way more orchids with them then when I did my own exploring.

Kyle

Are we all going to meet up at one airport and fly out together? I don't know where I will be living in January, but it might be easier and cheaper for me to buy the same ticket as some of you, and then take a plane, drive or catch a bus to the airport of departure. This is probably a logistical mess for me only, but I was just wondering if the rest of you were thinking about taking the same flights.

Zach. If you are really interested in going, I can find a way to get your ticket. You would be responsible for food and lodging, which if what I am hearing is correct, could be next to nothing. P.M. me and let's talk.

How long do you all think we should plan the trip for? 5 days?

Heather, have you tried the "tricks" of cheap airline tickets. Changing departure days, picking redeye flights? Supposedly, you can fly to Ecuador from Miami pretty cheap, and fly from most cities in the U.S. to Miami pretty cheap. And the cost of these two tickets might be cheaper than one ticket for a direct flight to Ecuador. We just might have to leave ourselves plenty of time in between flights so we don't miss one.

Just ideas.

A friend of mine gives tours of Ecuador and Peru. He also arranges all the paperwork so that you can bring back all the plants you find (within reason) and of course, some species excluded.

PHRAG said:
How long do you all think we should plan the trip for? 5 days?

I don't know, that sounds short to me though, I was thinking at least a week, but maybe we should check into the Ecuagenera idea also...?

PHRAG said:
Heather, have you tried the "tricks" of cheap airline tickets. Changing departure days, picking redeye flights? Supposedly, you can fly to Ecuador from Miami pretty cheap, and fly from most cities in the U.S. to Miami pretty cheap. And the cost of these two tickets might be cheaper than one ticket for a direct flight to Ecuador. We just might have to leave ourselves plenty of time in between flights so we don't miss one.

Just ideas.

Not yet, I was just trying to get a ballpark estimate to give us an idea of what airfare could range. We probably need some ballpark idea of dates to shoot for also, I just randomly picked the 5th-12th ish.

Well, I dont think my wife will let me go :mad: Maybe someone could smuggle me back some plants though ;)

Latest posts

Back