blooms from Tobermory, ON '10

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmorrisart

Reaction score
Rather than bumping my Calypso bulbosa thread from before I went on vacation to thank everyone for their kind comments, I'll follow up with more native orchid shots (etc.) here. These plants were found at Bruce Peninsula National Park and Fathom Five National Marine Park; I started visiting this orchid-rich area exactly ten years ago last week.

Cypripedium arietinum (I got funny looks from people on the official orchid festival tour as I was crawling around sniffing these tiny things, but they really do have a lovely fragrance--very sweet with a hint of anise):

Ram%27s%20Head%20Orchid.jpg

Trillium grandiflorum:

Trillium%20grandiflorum.jpg

Cypripedium calceolus var. pubescens (also fragrant):

Cypripedium%20calceolus%20var.%20pubescens%20II.jpg

Cypripedium calceolus var. parviflorum (yup, these are fragrant, too):

parviflorum.jpg

This is the only Calypso bulbosa I found this year and insects got to it before I did--all on the mainland were gone because of the warm spring, but this guy was hanging on out on Flowerpot Island (part of Fathom Five Marine National Park)...and, yes, they're fragrant:

calypsobulbosaI.jpg

This wasn't the biggest Corallorhiza striata I found, but I prefer the context of this particular image:

Corallorhiza%20striata.jpg

Polygala paucifolia are EVERYWHERE there--they always begin to play tricks on my weary eyes after hours of hunting for small pink orchids:

Polygala%20paucifolia.jpg

Sarracenia purpurea:

Sarracenia%20purpurea.jpg

Trientalis borealis:

Trientalis%20borealis.jpg

Sisyrinchium mucronatum:

Sisyrinchium%20mucronatum.jpg

Wonderful! I haven't been up the Bruce in years. I'm really missing some nice things, aren't I? I must try harder to make time next year. Thanks very much for sharing your photos!

Great shots Robin, thanks many times over! Seeing C. arietinum in the wild is a rare pleasure, as it is seeing eastern populations of the Calypso. You have photographed them to perfection, especially the C. striata and C. pubescens shots.

Eric, actually C. striata is the biggest of the Corallorhiza species.

Wonderful! I haven't been up the Bruce in years. I'm really missing some nice things, aren't I? I must try harder to make time next year. Thanks very much for sharing your photos!

Yes! You are! I know how hard it is to set aside time and money for such things though--I quite nearly talked myself out of the 16hr drive this year. It's just a long weekend for you though.

Thanks, Tom (and everyone else). My photos from last year were actually a lot better, though I didn't post them (shame on me)--the weather was more f/8 as opposed to the bright sun this time around. (I know, that's what getting up early or shooting in the evening is for, but I have to use restraint with a husband in tow.) Of course, I have tons of landscapes as well, but I had to narrow things down for this post...it is a plant forum after all!

Beautiful photos Robin! Next year we should try and meet up somewhere since we both seem to be there the same days. Steve and I always go to Craigie's in Tobermory for whitefish....maybe we could do lunch and then Singing Sands!

Attachments

• 2010_0530olsmokeymay20100089.JPG
    2010_0530olsmokeymay20100089.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 2
Very nice photos! I'd love to go back again, someday. Cyp arietinum is one of my favourites too! Just a correction - the yellows are Cyp. parviflorum var. pubescens and var. makasin (or var. parviflorum, I'm not sure which one you have out there). Cyp. calceolus is the European species.

Not these, Linda, but others...maybe! (Landscape at the moment.)

Thanks, Wendy. I'm not a huge fan of Craigie's, but I aim to be obliging in most cases. We always stay around the corner from there at Harbourside Motel. I'm always up for Singing Sands though; we were barely in town for four days (Tuesday and Saturday were driving mostly) and I still had to go over there three times to visit "my" arietinums.

Thanks for the info, Keven. This is one of those instances where I feel as though I'd be better off labeling things with common names, as the varied information makes my head begin to spin: http://www.rbg.ca/greenbelt/phase2consultation.pdf You'll note the Royal Botanical Gardens has mentioned them as I've got them captioned, and the USDA makes mention of calceolus in N.A. as well. Upon closer digging though, it totally looks like you're more right about this and I appreciate the correction--it's always good to not be an idiot, especially when it comes to stuff you really care about! :)

There are many changing of plant names that I find frustrating and don't completely argee with, but this is not one of them. When the Europeans first 'discovered' the yellow lady slippers in North America, they thought they were the same as the native European species. This has since been proven wrong, and sadly, many, many respected organizations still refer to all the yellows as calceolus. There needs to be some way to correct these inaccuracies.

I would not say you are at fault for naming them as you did, since you got the info from respected sources. I'm glad you didn't take my correction as 'criticism' (which is not always bad either). It's just that whenever I see North American yellow lady slippers called Cyp. calceolus, I feel compelled to correct it.:)

Latest posts

Back