Blooming Cypripediums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So beautiful ! I love the acaule ...mine is alive but not blooming this year...

Very nice. Congrats on the acaule. Remember to mulch it with A LOT of pine needles. Don't just assume that the garden mulch you have around it is just as good. It's not likely anywhere near what is required.....In fact, because it is meant for most mixed planted gardens, that mulch is likely a lot closer to neutral than is required by the acaule. They need acid! They need a very thick layer (2 or 3 inches deep), of decomposing Pine needles to acidify the soil and keep the plant happy. You need to top up the needle bed each year with fresh Pine needles. Since acaule roots grow wide and shallow, make the patch of Pine needles about 3 or 4 feet wide, with the plant in the middle.

Good luck.

As John said.

Also, soil nitrogen will quickly drop as microbes break down the wood fibre mulch so be sure to add pine needles in with your mulch and fertilize lightly in the fall and again in early spring.

I just over distribute a light application of my lawn fertilizers...just be sure not to over apply.

I totally agree with John about pine needle mulch. The
large stand of acaule on my property are in a large stand
of white pines and the needles around the plants are several inches deep. None of the acaule have ventured
outside of the area of pines.

I love the acaule. I have to get some of those. I have a spot for them under big pine trees that has a big accumulation of needles.

Back