Bletilla ochracea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve G

Reaction score
The first image is of an attractive but essentially typical Bletilla ochracea clone whilst the second was bought as Bletilla ochracea purple form. I suspect the second plant is some form or hybrid of Bletilla striata though I have been unable to find anything similar online. Both are cultivated plants from a Belgian grower though their initial provenance is not known to me.

35529488555_3f6c13c2b8_o_d.jpg

35145507565_30e8a1fb19_o_d.jpg

First time seeing a yellow one!
Nice for a change! :)

Bletilla striata used to everywhere in the southern part of Korea.

Nice B. ochracea and lovely photos. I've come across "pink" varieties of these and am convinced they are all hybrids with B. formosana (AKA B. szechuanica). Interestingly, there also seems to be at least two different clonal variations in terms of flowering period - one blooming in mid spring here in southern Japan (mid May) and the other flowering right around now. I had one of these late flowering forms, but it got mixed in with a big clump of B. striata 'Soryu' and it hasn't flowered in recent years. It may still be in there, but if it is, it ain't talkin'. :rollhappy:

Back