Blc. King of Taiwan

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete: question about the air roots. When you repot a plant like this do you soak it to soften the roots, and then try to put them all in the new pot?

We shall see. The only way to save those roots are to do like you say and soften them, twist the plant into the pot so the roots follow. Then to only add a little bit of media, slowly adding more until the roots adapt and maybe branch. However, I don’t have the patience and will likely wait till I see a new flush of roots. Repot and cut the aerial roots. Push the plant to focus on generating new roots in the media that I want the roots to adapt to. This plant had a lot of issues when I received it. The root ball was so solid full of moss I couldn’t break it up without severely damaging the plant. So I repotted with the root ball of moss in tact surrounded by my new media. I’ll likely try to divide this plant in the pot. Cut the stem and then let it sit until the next flush of roots.

Looks like it will bloom multiple times a year.

Petals looked more wavy on top this time.
Yeah I have noticed that my plants that bloom twice a year, usually spring and fall... spring blooms are not as robust, petals seem to be more wavy and the dorsal sepals of many seem to flex back like a sad orca dorsal fin. Not sure what I can do to address this. Probably they are starved of water and nutrients all winter and the strength of the plant is not the same as coming off the growing seasons. Probably wise to cut the blooms and get the plant growing.

We shall see. The only way to save those roots are to do like you say and soften them, twist the plant into the pot so the roots follow. Then to only add a little bit of media, slowly adding more until the roots adapt and maybe branch. However, I don’t have the patience and will likely wait till I see a new flush of roots. Repot and cut the aerial roots. Push the plant to focus on generating new roots in the media that I want the roots to adapt to. This plant had a lot of issues when I received it. The root ball was so solid full of moss I couldn’t break it up without severely damaging the plant. So I repotted with the root ball of moss in tact surrounded by my new media. I’ll likely try to divide this plant in the pot. Cut the stem and then let it sit until the next flush of roots.
If you were to soak the plant and just put all the roots in the pot and fill with media, at a time when the roots were branching, would they then be OK? If it were at a time when the roots were not branching, would you definitely lose all of those if you fill the pot with media?
I have soaked cattleyas in Kelp Max for about 30 minutes, to soften the roots and stimulate root growth. Sometimes it works very well depending on the timing. I have never re-potted and not filled the pot with media. That’s an interesting alternative.

If you were to soak the plant and just put all the roots in the pot and fill with media, at a time when the roots were branching, would they then be OK? If it were at a time when the roots were not branching, would you definitely lose all of those if you fill the pot with media?
I have soaked cattleyas in Kelp Max for about 30 minutes, to soften the roots and stimulate root growth. Sometimes it works very well depending on the timing. I have never re-potted and not filled the pot with media. That’s an interesting alternative.
I’ll give the soaking for 30 min a shot before I try again. My main concern is get it all the old moss off. This plant looks so vigorous that might be easier just to take a division off and start over. I’ll send you the root ball! We can just keep passing this thing around and everyone can take pieces off.

I’ll give the soaking for 30 min a shot before I try again. My main concern is get it all the old moss off. This plant looks so vigorous that might be easier just to take a division off and start over. I’ll send you the root ball! We can just keep passing this thing around and everyone can take pieces off.
When I re-pot cattleyas, I usually soak them and then hold the roots under running water to loosen all the old mix so I can get it all completely out. You might give that a try, as it works particularly well with moss. Bark will stick to the roots, but this method tends to cause it to let go as well. But, I will be glad to take a piece of it off your hands...

Latest posts

Back